ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone any idea how to make an IP appear to be in another country?

(1/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I want to watch some US TV shows that only allow access from US IPs (and I'd guess similarly some ex-UK people might like to watch some BBC/Channel 4 stuff which only responds to UK IPs).

Anyone know of an effective way of making your IP address appear to be in a different country?

I have tried 'Hid-IP-Browser' which is a paid service to do precisely this and it uses proxy servers all over the world so that you access services via a valid IP address in that country - unfortunately the proxies they use are all pretty slow and low bandwidth and consequently you can browse pages but they are too slow for broadband streaming content - and some actively block streaming content.

Anyone any other ideas or good services that offer this kind of facility?

Darwin:
Ad-muncher has an IP scamble feature which works well but over which you have little control (as to the country of origin). I just keep hitting scamble until I get what I want...

Darwin:
PS most effective way I ever tried was Tenebril's Ghostsurf 2005... There's also an opensource option that I've never tried. I'll try to rememer what it's called and post a link after work.

Darwin:
It's TOR (The Onion Router)!

f0dder:
The only thing you can do is using a proxy server of some kind, and you probably wont get around paying if you want decent reliability and speed.

TOR is nice and everything, but you don't really have control of which exit router to use, and thus it's pretty useless for this case :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version