ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB Keyboard not available during windows boot sequence

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
the other way to handle this is just have a spare tiny ps2 keyboard for when you need it with these tools.

Carol Haynes:
I could do that but it would be nicer to get the USB keyboard doing what is required!

Deozaan:
After you upgraded the BIOS did you check the settings to make sure USB devices were enabled or check for legacy support like Wordzilla suggested?

Another possible method of finding an answer is to Google your problem. If other people have had the same problem you can often find other forums with the solution.

J-Mac:
Carol,

Try the F5 key and see if that does it. F8 doesn't work with an Asus motherboard, at least with the American Megatrends BIOS; they made it F5 instead - for who knows what reason.  Also, if the F5 doesn't help on your PC, try waiting a bit longer in the bootup sequence.  Like after the bootup screen - checking devices, etc. - appears, then hit F8, several times, if necessary.

I also discovered, when I found the F8 key problem, that once you have a USB keyboard or mouse installed, P/S2 mouse will no longer work. (Not sure about the keyboard, though) Wasted a measly $5 on a Logitech serial mouse.

Worth a try or two.

Jim

mwb1100:
Not sure I haven't looked at the BIOS for ages, I think it was enabled. I'll check next time I reboot.
-Carol Haynes (February 25, 2008, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try disabling it and see what happens (have a PS/2 keyboard handy in case the USB version doesn't work in the BIOS settings with legacy support disabled).  Your BIOS screen options might still work (though you'd probably have trouble working in MS-DOS  :D).

Another thing to check is if you motherboard chipset drivers are correct/up to date (assuming you're using an on-board USB port).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version