ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bluescreens and then reboots too quickly for me to read what it says

<< < (4/4)

rjer2:
Mouser
You can view that blue screen by
making a change in the system
properties.
         Right click mycomputer and
click properties,click advanced at
the top then Startup and Recovery
tab at the bottom of the page.
         Uncheck Automatically Restart
 box, and check write an event
 to the system log.
          In the write debugging
 information box select
kernel memory dump.
It will create a much
 smaller file with all the
 info you need.
          Click ok and
 exit . The next bsod will stop
 so you can look at all the info.
 For as long as you like.

mouser:
thanks everyone for the advice -- the next time it happens i will now be able to see it since i changed the reboot switch, and thanks to you guys i now know about the dump files  :up: :up:

ps. i guess the auto reboot could be useful if its a remote pc or something.  a MUCH smarter choice would have been to ALWAYS PAUSE on a blue screen for a few seconds.

lanux128:
a little late but as rjer2 mentioned, unchecking the auto-restart option could be helpful. also attaching a screenshot.

f0dder:
ps. i guess the auto reboot could be useful if its a remote pc or something.  a MUCH smarter choice would have been to ALWAYS PAUSE on a blue screen for a few seconds.-mouser (February 24, 2008, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Spot on the sugar, wrt. both points.

Carol Haynes:
You can also get extra info from MSKB from the EventViewer just double click the event and then click on the support link. It will open Windows Help with any info available - but also has an automatic search on the left of MS KB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version