ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

<< < (35/187) > >>

superboyac:
In compliance with the future Cody Club charter, I'm finally posting something on this thread:

My real job is an electrical engineer.  I used to do mechanical engineering before that, and before that I was a high school teacher.  And before that, I was planning on joining the medical profession and I was doing bioengineering work.  Actually, one of my possible destinations was the University of Illinois (like mouser).  I live in Los Angeles, I'm 28.  I love playing basketball, and I love playing music (jazz piano and organ).  Now I feel like I'm filling out questions for an online dating site.

PS I also just filled out my DC biography, so you can read more interesting information by clicking on that red document button under the avatar.  I always wondered what that button was for!

Darwin:
Hi... I *swear* that I posted in this thread long ago but can find no evidence to support this so...

I love this site. I discovered it (can't remember how) two years ago and donated the same day. Like others posting in this thread, I wouldn't want to be without it.

As to myself, I am a PhD candidate (Neanderthal evolutionary ecology and morphology) and a college instructor (University Transfer - Anthropology) but my favourite job is father to two boys, Jack and Thomas. Along with their mother, we live in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. Before we had our boys, Younhee and I lived in England (four years) and in South Korea (four years).

What I know about programming could be written on the head of a pin and I know just enough about Windows to SERIOUSLY disable any machine running any flavour of it!

My user name is Darwin but my friends call me Mike :)

y0himba:
You + Computer = Darwin Award? ;D Just kidding, had to though...

Wow, I am residing with giants here.  All the education and lofty purposes, here I am never graduated high school, nor went to college. It's incredibly nice to see this on a forum, being open and truthful without the usual forum "face" contests that go on.  You've all heard the saying about arguing on the Internet...

Darwin:
You + Computer = Darwin Award?  Just kidding, had to though...
--- End quote ---

Good one - very apt, unfortunately :-[ Actually, I've learned from my mistakes but do spend far, far too much time tinkering with a tool that is supposed to be enabling me to work more efficiently on other things (PhD data analysis, dissertation write up, balancing my chequebook, etc.).

As for education... I've met high school dropouts that make Rhodes Scholars look like special ed students... Education is a fine thing, but it is not the only thing and it shouldn't define us. I only wish that that insight had come more cheaply - in both time served and money spent!

app103:

Wow, I am residing with giants here.  All the education and lofty purposes, here I am never graduated high school, nor went to college. It's incredibly nice to see this on a forum, being open and truthful without the usual forum "face" contests that go on.  You've all heard the saying about arguing on the Internet...
-y0himba (January 11, 2007, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

One usually doesn't stop learning when their formal education ends. At least that is what I would sincerely hope. I know it is the case for me.

And you are in good company...I didn't graduate high school or go to college, either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version