ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

<< < (41/187) > >>

y0himba:
 :-* ;D

iphigenie:
Well i guess I should have posted here before i posted elsewhere.

Hi. I'm from Switzerland, living in the UK but not sure for how long (between jobs and current discussions are for jobs all over the place). Interested in far too many things to list them all here.

Have a background in development but never much in the realm of desktop apps so around here I'm probably a consumer  ;)

app103:
"I know that is what I typed, but that isn't what I meant. If computers are so smart it should have know that!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!"
--- End quote ---

I know what you mean, tinjaw.  Computers can be frustrating, just like people can.  I think a lot of ppl don't realize that computers have feelings.  Just the other day, my computer finally broke down and admitted to me that she's been very jealous the past few weeks because I've been seeing another computer (at work).  I hadn't been careful enough (had unthinkingly sent an email from work computer to my ISP internet account), and what could I say?  I was caught with both hands on the keyboard!  I just swallowed my pride and apologized, and gave her a RAM upgrade and a nice long defrag.  We're getting along fine again, now ...
-kyrathaba (January 28, 2007, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I totally agree with the whole notion of computers having personalities like people. I will even go so far as to say they have genders too.

And they do play favorites with users, acting nice to some and being impossible to others.

My old pc adores me (EdTheSlowAss)...hates everyone else. But we came to an understanding a long time ago, which is why he's agreeable with me.

I agreed to take the time and listen to him and be patient. He agreed that if I am kind and gentle, he won't act like a cranky old man and will instead perform beyond what others would expect from a guy his age.

And nearly every program I write is with him in mind. Everything ends up as a gift to him. If he doesn't like it, I fix it till he does.

My daughter, on the other hand, yells at him and insults him all the time...and Ed is a very sensitive guy...scares easily. You can tell from that frozen expression he gets on the monitor every time she goes near him.  :D

As long as my daughter stays away from him, I have a very stable WinME pc that treats me kindly.

y0himba:
WinME.  'nuff said.

Poor Ed  :(

cranioscopical:
app103:  he won't act like a cranky old man
--- End quote ---
And what, pray, is your objection to a cranky old men?  ;)
My favourite machine is a years-old, all-SCSI box, that's the most reliable backup system I've had in a long time.  (It runs XP Pro nowadays: apparently, I got on its good side when it was a mere slip of a lad.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version