ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (68/106) > >>

4wd:
I was reminded of a pet annoyance of mine yesterday when I had to journey out in the car.

Automatic transmissions - the surest way to turn drivers into inconsiderate morons.

Why?  You can bet that the person trundling along at 40kph in a 60kph+ zone with a line of cars behind has an automatic transmission.
They simply have no idea that a high percentage, (here in Australia anyway), of people use manual transmissions and so are behind these idiots stuck in 4th, 3rd or even 2nd gear, (assuming a 5 speed box).

They should ban automatics in anything smaller than a bus, (excepting those people who require one for real disability reasons - not including the lack of eye-hand-foot coordination required for a manual).

J-Mac:
I was reminded of a pet annoyance of mine yesterday when I had to journey out in the car.

Automatic transmissions - the surest way to turn drivers into inconsiderate morons.

Why?  You can bet that the person trundling along at 40kph in a 60kph+ zone with a line of cars behind has an automatic transmission.
They simply have no idea that a high percentage, (here in Australia anyway), of people use manual transmissions and so are behind these idiots stuck in 4th, 3rd or even 2nd gear, (assuming a 5 speed box).

They should ban automatics in anything smaller than a bus, (excepting those people who require one for real disability reasons - not including the lack of eye-hand-foot coordination required for a manual).
-4wd (July 09, 2009, 08:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I can see being annoyed at people driving too slow, but to make a generalization that all slow drivers must be using automatic transmissions? A little presumptuous, methinks!  :huh:

Jim

4wd:
OK, I can see being annoyed at people driving too slow, but to make a generalization that all slow drivers must be using automatic transmissions? A little presumptuous, methinks!  :huh:-J-Mac (July 09, 2009, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not really, I can't see anyone willingly driving along in 2nd or 3rd at 40kph - the engine would either be revving rather loudly or the whole car kangarooing because the engine is not in it's optimum load range.

We are talking about a main road here, clearly signposted speed limits 20-30kph above what they are doing - not some back street where they might conceivably be looking for an address.
I'm not referring to those high speed sections of road either, just the normal 60/70 kph zones we get here in Australia.  If they're doing 70/80 in a 100 kph zone, no problem because then I'm not constantly changing gears.

If you want to try, jump in a car with a manual transmission and then drive along at 40kph in 2nd/3rd and see how long you last before you get annoyed - it's even worse when I'm driving behind them in my Landcruiser because it's a diesel and at 40kph I'm right on the 2nd/3rd gear change point.

I won't even get into the people who go, "Oh no! There's a bend in the road hit the brakes!"   (A bend, not a corner, a bend where you can see the road continuing clearly for the next 300 metres....sheesh!)

Oh.....I think I just did  :P

SKesselman:
Here in the U.S., when manual transmissions were more prevalent, it was mostly old people who drove automatics.
And, it is often old people who drive too slow.
So...maybe they're just old?

In any case, automatics could be spotted way in advance.
Maybe you could make it a point move as soon as you see one?

4wd:
So...maybe they're just old?-SKesselman (July 10, 2009, 12:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's generally the case but it still doesn't stop them from actually pulling over to the side of the road to let the 6+ cars crawling along behind them pass.

That's what automatics have exacerbated, it's seems they no longer bother to pull over because their car isn't telling them to, ie. they no longer have to change gear to account for road conditions - the brain no longer needs to be in gear.

BTW, I really liked the "Slow Driver must pull over" Federal Law in the USA - I just wish they had the same here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version