ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (59/106) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'm with you. Anybody who has ever had to deal with the way I speak and write will tell you I'm the first to wing it, either for effect, to make a joke, or just to be sure I'm getting my point across. Once, when criticized for his way he constantly misspelled words, President Andrew Jackson retorted, “It's a damn small mind that can think of only one way to spell a word.” I'd be inclined to go a step further and say the same goes for blind adherence to arbitrary rules when they get in the way of what we're trying to convey.

8)

BTW: Did any of that make sense?

-40hz (June 26, 2009, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
To me yes ... but that's probably a bad thing.

On a side note...I had to google preposition *Shrug* and found this site which seems to fit the current debate. http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/

...Apearently Canada is how far north you have to go to find folks what speak English proper.

fenixproductions:
@40Hz
You might be right person to ask :)

I've heard once that "the possessive case is not allowed for objects as owners" so using i.e. "router's IP address" instead of "IP address of the router" is mistake. Now, looking at your "Be sure to check the box's contents" makes me feel confused.

Could you enlighten me (or post a link to better sources)?

Darwin:
I don't know if they still teach it this way, but back when I was in school, possessives that ended in an s were written as an s+apostrophe. As in: Hans' hands were holding Hoss' horses' saddles. (Hmmm...not bad!)
-40hz (June 26, 2009, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely the way I learned it in school!

Grorgy:
I'm getting annoyed with people who can actually remember back to school  :huh:

Josh:
The one with rodney dangerfield?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version