ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (28/106) > >>

cranioscopical:
"If you don't forward this, something bad will happen"

Rubbish!-CleverCat (May 29, 2009, 02:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Will you please stop forwarding to me all your rubbish?!

mwb1100:
   11. Confusing privacy policies that appear to have been written by monkeys - and I apologize if that offends any monkeys out there.
-J-Mac (May 26, 2009, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

In the interest of reducing confusion, there are really only 2 types of privacy policy:

1. simple to read policies that pretty much clearly state that your privacy will be repected to the extent permitted by law

2. all others - no privacy protection is afforded.  See http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2009/05/26/9640963.aspx for some details.

J-Mac:
   11. Confusing privacy policies that appear to have been written by monkeys - and I apologize if that offends any monkeys out there.
-J-Mac (May 26, 2009, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

In the interest of reducing confusion, there are really only 2 types of privacy policy:

1. simple to read policies that pretty much clearly state that your privacy will be repected to the extent permitted by law

2. all others - no privacy protection is afforded.  See http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2009/05/26/9640963.aspx for some details.

-mwb1100 (May 29, 2009, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

You missed #3) Privacy Policies that state in one paragraph:

The information we collect is used to improve the content of our Web page, used by us to contact consumers for marketing purposes, not shared with other organizations for commercial purposes, disclosed when legally required to do so, at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our Web site and applicable laws or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our Web site.
--- End quote ---
(Emphasis mine)

So you think you are safe. But then farther down the page in a different paragraph it states:

From time to time, we make the e-mail addresses of those who access our site available to other reputable organizations whose products or services we think you might find interesting.
--- End quote ---

And farther down the page yet another paragraph states:

If you supply us with your postal address on-line you may receive periodic mailings from us with information on new products and services or upcoming events.
--- End quote ---

Sounds like just them, doesn't it? Ha! This is a couple more paragraphs down the page:

Please provide us with your exact name and address. We will be sure your name is removed from the list we share with other organizations
--- End quote ---

... and ....

Please provide us with your name and phone number. We will be sure your name is removed from the list we share with other organizations From time to time, we may use customer information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in our privacy notice.
--- End quote ---

Don't you love it?!  BTW, this privacy is from the web site of Granite City Tools, from whom I purchased a few bottles of granite countertop cleaner/polish after having a new kitchen installed. Their policy now has opt-out instructions but did not when I made my purchase. Nor was their policy this "clear" then; it was much denser then. After receiving the cleaner I started receiving monstrous catalogs from tool companies selling granite cutting tools, mining tools (Yes, excavators larger than the entire block where my house is!), at the rate of about two to three a day. And these catalogs were of the major city phonebook size variety. Though I contacted them by phone, email, and postal mail they never responded, so I had to get off the lists my own way.

They should all die of something painful....   :mad: 8)

Jim

mrainey:
Grownups saying "Woo Hoo!!!!"

Josh:
Forums which have to give you the "Thanks for posting" or various other confirmation pages after certain activities occur. I don't need to be thanked for posting, just redirect me to my post and don't show me the unneeded middle-man page!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version