ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (16/106) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Global Warming/Climate Change: First off, I've got to say I'm not a true believer. Which is not meant to cast aspersions on the Climate Change arguments, it is a complex area and both sides have valid data.

Although, I am very concerned with our resource use (which I think is almost immoral in the 1st World).

Earth Hour is when we're all meant to turn our lights off for an hour? That may save the individual establishments off their electrical bill, but it doesn't save any electricity. Here in Australia 97% of our electricity is generated by burning coal (we have heaps of it). All that electricity is pumped down the electricity infrastructure, but if it isn't used it goes to waste. There's no battery to store it for later use. I'm not sure where it goes, maybe it just doesn't get into the infrastructure in the first place  :-\ But all coal has been burnt to generate the desired level of power that is estimated to be required. That's why we get brown-outs: usage outstrips supply. But when supply outstrips usage it's just wastage.

Apparently there is archaeological evidence of agriculture in Greenland, so the Greenlanders can look forward to fluctuating back to a climate they had previously. I heard recently that the climate scientists that predicting a mini-ice age because of the lack of solar flares: so I was left wondering how much we're contributing to the process. I imagine it's almost impossible to say. Just makes it confusing having one side say all and the other saying none.

Renegade:
On my way home from Hong Kong a little while ago, I picked up a National Geographic special edition on climate change. It had lots of numbers and hard facts, which I found refreshing. I HATE namby-pamby feel-good drivel that isn't backed up with anything. This was not that. Lots of good meaty stuff in there presenting a serious case.

That being said, it looks bleak for planet Earth. The rate of change is astonishing, and will seriously affect all of us in our lifetimes.

But I'm still not going to care in the least about recycling plastic or paper when the energy consumption from that is greater than producing it from raw materials and is hastening climate change. I'll still conscientiously recycle tin and metal as the energy consumption there is well worth it. But I won't stop complaining about the plastic & paper...

Sigh... Hell in a handbasket... :(

Josh:
People who post reviews which are nothing more than summaries of what they read on another site rather than independent thoughts of their own. You see this running rampant on betanews.com and any anti-microsoft site where people take the word of someone else rather than checking into the issue at hand for themselves.

Renegade:
People who post reviews which are nothing more than summaries of what they read on another site rather than independent thoughts of their own. You see this running rampant on betanews.com and any anti-microsoft site where people take the word of someone else rather than checking into the issue at hand for themselves.
-Josh (May 23, 2008, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that one!

What really p!$$3s me off is the security crap I hear... Grrr...

Another few topics:

-- Internet Explorer
-- Windows Media Player
-- QuickTime
-- RealPlayer

They are NOT what they are touted to be. They are all PLATFORMS! Very very very few people get that.

IE is NOT a browser.

WMP is NOT a media player.

QuickTime is NOT a media player.

RealPlayer is NOT a media player.

They function as those, but are so much more than just that.

FF? Opera? iTunes? WinAmp? etc. etc. etc.

They don't compare at all. The comparisons between them are just silly.

Ok -- Rant is at it's end now.

Anyone else want to tweak me off and get me started? :)

cranioscopical:
Anyone else want to tweak me off and get me started?
-Renegade (May 23, 2008, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version