ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (15/106) > >>

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
5. people who treat ADHD as an excuse for their/someones behavior, and state they/someone has the condition based on their ill-educated perspective.
-jammo (February 22, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please tell me you are not one of those people who thinks this is not a real disorder?
-Josh (February 22, 2008, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
OH NO!
Quite the contrary!

I've been properly diagnosed! After seeing 3 Psychologists, they finally got it right! I am currently on 60mg daily Straterra and a high regime of note taking, Zen-like GTD and following my ADD Coach/Wife.

I mean I don't like hearing people just throw the word around, like it's just easier to say OH I HAVE ADHD -or- <THIS PERSON> MUST BE ADHD, just because the person is forgetful, or inattentive, or lazy, etc.
It's a word that nowadays gets thrown around alot, very easily so too!
Just like OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), which a close friend of mine has. She is taking her meds, and copes with her 'disorder' with the help of her spouse.

Society has become quick to slap a label on something or someone. It sucks.

5. people who treat ADHD as an excuse for their/someones behavior, and state they/someone has the condition based on their ill-educated perspective.
-jammo (February 22, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please tell me you are not one of those people who thinks this is not a real disorder?
-Josh (February 22, 2008, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
There's a difference between suffering from a disorder, and hiding behind a disorder and excusing everything and yourself because of it.. and behaving like a total jerk. Using an illness/disorder as a bad excuse for being ill-mannered is pretty unfair to the people that really suffer and try to cope with it.
-f0dder (February 23, 2008, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
In all fairness, some of us don't suffer! We cope with it just as you or anyone else copes with a bad hair day (lame example perhaps!).
Of course I speak for myself and a few others whom I know with ADHD, and anyone who KNOWS someone with a severe disorder knows how terrible it can makes ones life.
I try my best to not let this ruin my life or make things difficult for me. I takes notes when asking directions, I write things on the back of my hand, I carry a pocket notebook and pen, I leave myself voice notes, I have daily SMS reminders to take my meds, take our the trash wash the dishes. I even have a daily SMS reminder to change the babys diaper.
I cope as best I can.
So when someone takes light of this disorder, it really bothers me.

Deozaan:
People who abuse the authority and power given to them.

tomos:
I know this off-topic but I couldnt stop myself (yes, I'm procrastinating )

Sure, the temperature may have risen on average over the last however many years, but I'm under the impression that that's just natural, periodic heating and cooling of the earth.
-Deozaan (February 28, 2008, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Deozaan,
the problem is: if it continues & we continue contributing to it (which is obviously the case), well, put it this way, if you live near the sea you could be losing your house pretty soon and that might even be the least of your worries.
It could be natural, but we'll still be screwed :)

I've always being pretty sparing (following my parents example I guess) but I got a bit of a shock lately when I got an offer: - if I pay my electricity for the year in one go (an estimated amount which they kept pretty low) I get it at a reduced price per KW
The fact it's estimated & a low estimate at that, has me afraid that I'll get a huge bill at the end of the year for the balance & has made me much more conscious of how wasteful I can be.

What with the cost of these things moneywise & the possible cost of these things environmentwise I think it simply makes sense not to be wasteful or overly extravagant

Also, it's very easy to say they do that why shouldnt I (drive a car that guzzles gas, whatever) - ???? imagine if everyone went for the lowest common demoninater with beliefs & or actions - that would be, eh, interesting!! (I'm not saying you are in general -but- "telling me stay away from airplanes, automobiles, and technology in general and go green, all the while riding private jets across the world to preach global warming" smacks a bit of it)

Grorgy:
I have to say either way the things that reduce these green house gases seem to be all good things anyway, reduce pollution, be more sustainable, and if there is no global warming we've just left a better cleaner more pleasant environment for the next generations, if it is real then we may have saved the planet, personally I have trouble seeing a downside.  (I'm procrastinating too  ;) )

Darwin:
Crumb! There is an excellent YouTube video series on this by a science teacher in the states... just can't remember his name or any of the links  :o Anyway, his bottom line on global warming is in line with what Grorgy says above.

Grorgy and Tom - couldn't have said it better myself  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version