ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (95/106) > >>

40hz:
On a related note - software products that provide the option to download the installer as either an EXE or a ZIP file - but where the ZIP file contains nothing but the same EXE file.

Umm...there's a thing called broadband, guys! Shaving 48K off a 3MB EXE file by zipping it is hardly worth the effort anymore.

:P

superboyac:
On a related note - software products that provide the option to download the installer as either an EXE or a ZIP file - but where the ZIP file contains nothing but the same EXE file.

Umm...there's a thing called broadband, guys! Shaving 48K off a 3MB EXE file by zipping it is hardly worth the effort anymore.

:P
-40hz (May 18, 2010, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ha!  Seriously...goes back to what I once said about installers for the tiny, little 500k software saying "Please wait, this may take a few minutes."  I don't it has ever taken even a minute...even back on my 486 machine.

J-Mac:
Soo... a software developer can create a program that we trust to run on our computers but he/she cannot figure out how to make the installer work? Hmm... Makes one wonder...   :-\

Jim

Josh:
Soo... a software developer can create a program that we trust to run on our computers but he/she cannot figure out how to make the installer work? Hmm... Makes one wonder...   :-\

Jim
-J-Mac (May 18, 2010, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

My thoughts exactly.

wraith808:
Soo... a software developer can create a program that we trust to run on our computers but he/she cannot figure out how to make the installer work? Hmm... Makes one wonder...   :-\

Jim
-J-Mac (May 18, 2010, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

My thoughts exactly.
-Josh (May 18, 2010, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not talking about cannot figure out.  I'm talking about default settings.  If you are just cranking out an installer (especially with installshield), you simply take the default settings and put in the information you need to, and add the files.  But I suppose it's an area where we'll have to agree to disagree.  It used to be the new Microsoft standard to put company name/software name.  Over the years since Windows 95 first premiered, installations have gotten away from that standard- partially because customers didn't like it, especially for one product companies.  If one installer company still sticks to an outdated standard, it seems like they should be the one to take the brunt of the blame.  If you use the IS wizard, this setting will never come up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version