ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (81/106) > >>

40hz:
What doesn't annoy me?
-superboyac (December 08, 2009, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

How about the picture of that 'girl with the basket' I posted in response to your leather messenger bag question? :P

superboyac:
What doesn't annoy me?
-superboyac (December 08, 2009, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

How about the picture of that 'girl with the basket' I posted in response to your leather messenger bag question? :P
-40hz (December 08, 2009, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
He he...yeah, you got me there.

Edvard:
Stupid hacks when decent coding would do far better.
Imagemagick, for example.
I was trying to resize some things and I needed them resized proportionately.
I couldn't find out anywhere in the documentation where I might find out how to give the 'convert' or 'mogrify' command only one dimension in either direction and have it keep the aspect ratio.
Google gave me the answer, but not one I was expecting...
Some years ago, I upgraded ImageMagick, only to find that all my server-side code-- which automatically generated thumbnails from uploaded images-- had started spewing all over itself, chewing up CPU, and creating some of the most hideously deformed thumbnail images ever. See, I was used to using the following command:

# mogrify -geometry 60x999 blah.s.jpg

...to scale the thumbnail proportionally to 60 pixels wide, with the height being whatever is consistent with the same aspect ratio and 60 pixels wide. A 600x400 picture would become a 60x40 thumbnail. The "999" was a special key number, you see-- it told ImageMagick to scale proportionally. Apparently they'd never bothered to code a proper option for only specifying one dimension, so this hack was the best they could do.

So I upgraded, and found that my thumnails were now... 60 pixels wide, and 999 pixels tall. They'd removed the special handling.

Now I use "9999" for that command. It's still an awful hack, but at least it isn't chewing up my CPU as it tries to blow everything up to a thousand vertical pixels every time someone uploads something. At least, until they change something else and I have to make it "99999".
--- End quote ---
:-\

40hz:
AT&T's ongoing refusal to support Thunderbird as a mail client.

About once or twice a month, T-Bird's outbound mail starts throwing all kinds of connection or authentication errors when attempting to use AT&T's SMTP servers. This has been going on ever since AT&T teamed up with Yahoo and forced its customers to switch over to the servers at att.yahoo.com. Their old servers (smtp.snet.net, smtp.sbcglobal.net, etc.) used to work just fine. How's that for progress?

Calls to tech support result in nothing other than a suggestion to use Outlook or Outlook Express since "we're sorry, but AT&T does not support Mozilla Thunderbird at this time..." yadda-yadda-yadda.

Oddly enough, AT&T's SMTP usually starts working again without without the need to change anything in Thunderbird after a day or two of refusals to connect.

Drives me absolutely nuts. >:(

Deozaan:
Christmas... when it starts in October!
-cranioscopical (December 05, 2009, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

And along with that, Valentine's Day (always) but especially when it starts January 2nd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version