ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (56/106) > >>

Darwin:
Ah! I thought of two more (that could possibly start a mini-flame war - so be it):

1. Pronouncing the "i" in Multi, Demi, Semi, etc. as "eye" instead of "ee" (heh, heh - I used a good illustration of why this is wrong in my paranthetic comment above: it's min-ee, not min-eye, no?)
2. Statements that go something like: "she's real pretty" instead of "she's really pretty"

40hz:
goes well with  - he got it for nothin' !! :)-tomos (June 26, 2009, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't that be "fer nothin' "?  :P
-Darwin (June 26, 2009, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would that be good?  ;)
-cranioscopical (June 26, 2009, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shure nuff would 'lest ya conjure it be otherwise. ;D

40hz:
Ah! I thought of two more (that could possibly start a mini-flame war - so be it):

1. Pronouncing the "i" in Multi, Demi, Semi, etc. as "eye" instead of "ee" (heh, heh - I used a good illustration of why this is wrong in my paranthetic comment above: it's min-ee, not min-eye, no?)
2. Statements that go something like: "she's real pretty" instead of "she's really pretty"
-Darwin (June 26, 2009, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing wrong with a mini-flame. It's been much (way?) too quite around here (anyway?)(anyhow?) lately. :P

Re #1: I'll have to agree with you on that niggle. Except when there are exceptions. Should that happen, I'm afraid you'll only find me in quasi-agreement with you. I'm sure Quasimodo would approve.

Re#2: Ahhh...the infamous missing ly issue. Does that make you feel bad  (or badly?) for the sorry state of grammatic (or grammatical?) use (or should that be usage?) in this day and age?

Note: I think the current trend in schools to actively discourage the use of adverbs, and limit the use of adjectives, (all in the name of "clearer prose") has a lot to do with the vanishing 'ly'.

---

My current pet word peeve: People who don't seem to understand that an apostrophe 's' indicates possession - not the plural. I can't tell you the number of times I've see somebody referring to many of something with an 's.

I find that error really (real?) annoying.

;D

cranioscopical:
And , (40hz mentioned this elsewhere, which reminded me) !!PowerPoint!!
or, more specifically, clients who want me to use it.

If you feel that you must

f0dder:
Ugh, using 's for plural... take them to town square and have them flogged!

It annoys me almost as much as Danish people who use 's for possession, since we don't use that in Danish (except for a few corner cases). I guess it will eventually be adopted and made official practice, though.

* f0dder sighs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version