ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (45/106) > >>

mouser:
:( i know this is probably going to seem over sensitive, and it is a remarkable video in terms of animal behavior, but it's also pretty cruel to watch and something i'd rather not see embedded as an animation playing inside a post.. linking to it would be fine.

mahesh2k:
 :D

CleverCat:
:( i know this is probably going to seem over sensitive, and it is a remarkable video in terms of animal behavior, but it's also pretty cruel to watch and something i'd rather not see embedded as an animation playing inside a post.. linking to it would be fine.
-mouser (June 20, 2009, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tend to agree mouser!

40hz:
-mouser (June 20, 2009, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tend to agree mouser!
-CleverCat (June 20, 2009, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's more a difference in individual perception rather than excessive sensitivity on your part.

My GF and I are quite active in various wildlife and animal rescue organizations. Both of us saw the video as interesting, from an educational viewpoint, since it demonstrates an aspect of turtle behavior that many people would not expect. (Snapping turtles claim a fair number of waterfowl each year where we live.) Most people think of turtles as lumbering dull-witted creatures. Nothing could be further from the truth. In their native environment, most turtle species are fast, intelligent and fierce predators.

Despite the fact that hunting behaviors may see "cruel" (a term which isn't ever appropriate when commenting on animal behaviors since the practice of cruelty is an exclusively human phenomenon) they are also part of the the natural order found in our ecosystem. And much as I personally hate to see ducklings occasionally 'disappear' while they out swimming on the river not too far from our house, I must also acknowledge that hunting turtles help balance the duck population. And despite the fact that turtles are neither cuddly nor cute, I must also acknowledge they have an equal claim to survival and the right to exist.

Either way, the clip has apparently upset some people at DoCo. And although it was not my intent to offend anyone, apparently I have. For that, I apologize.

Clip and link have both been removed. My feeling was that if the subject matter was inappropriate because it could upset someone, it didn't really matter whether it was immediately visible or not. Including the link wouldn't have removed that possibility - so I thought it best to make both go away.

---

(Note: the clip in question showed a medium-sized turtle unexpectedly grab a pidgeon-sized bird and haul it into the water. There was no blood or gore such as you'll find on NatGeo or Animal Planet. The bird disappears with the turtle underwater, and that's the end of it.)

mouser:
i agree with everything you say about it being interesting from an educational perspective, and i think linking to it would be cool -- it really was amazing to watch.

something just rubbed me the wrong way about seeing it looping over and over again here as if it was a comedy blooper to laugh about.  i mean hey it's nature, and nature can be cruel and fascinating.  i just don't get an "LOL" feeling about watching a bird get dragged under water to die.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version