ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free Microsoft Commercial Developer Tools

(1/3) > >>

PhilB66:
Microsoft gives away free developer software to students

f0dder:
Is that with the usual clause they tend to use? Ie, no commercial projects, your license is revoked when you're no longer a student, etc.?

The Express Editions aren't super-handicapped, by the way, and iirc their licenses are pretty liberal. (And are for anybody, not just students).

arunpawar:
another move agains open source.they are doing this like google did on google summer of code and otehr google contests.

its all to get more developers cause MS is loosing developers on the fly.even if MS web technologies are used in industry it is not used with individuals and some other open source evagilist.and they are very strict with licesne so if u are last year student then you won't able to upgrade for free.or maybe they have non commercial app restriction usage.

good move but very late.
Ruby on rails.PHP,Google Mashup,J2EE,Spring,Hibernate,AJAX,XUL is all we need cause it is free.even if industry force MS technlogy usage but some hosting companies and individual will continue to save with open source.

Carol Haynes:
Is that with the usual clause they tend to use? Ie, no commercial projects, your license is revoked when you're no longer a student, etc.?

The Express Editions aren't super-handicapped, by the way, and iirc their licenses are pretty liberal. (And are for anybody, not just students).
-f0dder (February 19, 2008, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to be personal/non-commercial but I couldn't see anything in the T&Cs that says the license dies with your student status.

MS have never done that in the past with academic discounted software (eg. Windows XP or Office XP/2003).

Some companies have done that but Adobe and MS aren't (IME) among them.

By the way for students in the EU not all establishments are listed but you can still register by getting an ISIC (International Student Identity Card) and choosing ISIC from the dropdown menu of establishments. OK it is a pain (costs £9 to get a card) but probably worth it if you want to learn Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 Pro or use Windows 2003 Server Standard Ed (yes please - that is going to be very useful to me at the mo).

Also as far as I can tell it isn't limited to one product either.

f0dder:
Seems to be personal/non-commercial but I couldn't see anything in the T&Cs that says the license dies with your student status.

MS have never done that in the past with academic discounted software (eg. Windows XP or Office XP/2003).-Carol Haynes (February 20, 2008, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm pretty sure they have done with with both Visual Studio and Office2000, at least in .dk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version