ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

can't access donationcoder.com sometimes unless i use a proxy

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
My problem was DNS related - sometimes, anything related to donationcoder.com simply wouldn't resolve to an IP. If I added entries to my hosts file or used another DNS server (like OpenDNS), the site worked just perfect.

I don't know wtf the problem is, if it could be a misconfiguration at DC's end, or just my ISP (www.cybercity.dk), or whatever - haven't experienced the problem with any other sites though.

EDIT: running a WHOIS on donationcoder.com:
Name Server: NS1.DONATIONCODER.COM
Name Server: NS2.DONATIONCODER.COM

--- End quote ---

Now, I'm a bit rusty at the more advanced DNS topics, but assuming that your (ISP or whatever) nameserver doesn't know about DONATIONCODER.COM, how will it resolve NS1 and NS2? Doesn't resolving NS1 and NS2 mean your DNS server has to contact ns{1,2}.donationcoder.com, which it doesn't have the IPs for?

nudone:
i can't help there but it's peculiar how other things hosted at DC don't suffer the same problem.

Gothi[c]:
Now, I'm a bit rusty at the more advanced DNS topics, but assuming that your (ISP or whatever) nameserver doesn't know about DONATIONCODER.COM, how will it resolve NS1 and NS2? Doesn't resolving NS1 and NS2 mean your DNS server has to contact ns{1,2}.donationcoder.com, which it doesn't have the IPs for?

--- End quote ---

Yep,... That's how the hosting company has had it set up for some reason...

Whoever controls the domain (i'm not sure if that's mouser or the hosting company or whatever i'll have to ask him about it) should probably put in the IP addresses for the server instead of the domain name with the subdomains. The donationcoder server does have multiple IP's (72.36.247.82 through 72.36.247.86) that can be used, so it's not like you're stuck with one IP and have to have the subdomains as a hack to get around the 2 nameservers requirement.

nudone: an easy solution for you, without using custom dns servers etc, would be to just put the ip for donationcoder in your hosts file.

f0dder:
Gothi[c]: but is that a/the problem? We had some weird DNS problems at another site, which I solved by fixing up nameserver addresses... but those are still {ns1,ns2}.otherdomain.net - so not "recursive", but still subdomains of another domain... hm.

I think I should read up on DNS records and how the TLD stuff works :)

pip2kk:
thats absolutly correct setup of dns tho. in the zone files where the nameservers are setup...on the dns server. the ip for the nameservers is hard coded into the config...
this is more than likely just an issue with dns along the way. i would bet more on local isp than domain root servers....

do you by chance have a linux box handy? if so, next time this is happening. try dig donationcoder.com

when you do this make sure the box is set to query your isps dns servers...if this failes. then your isps dns is failing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version