ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cooking my PC: what NOT to do

<< < (5/10) > >>

f0dder:
Yes, around 2.3-2.4 GHz, some reviewers got engineering samples from the 2.6 GHz model, which I think is the future 9900, that one can compete with the Q6600 up to some extent, but not with the Penryn. Oh well, at least AMD users can get a nice upgrade :D (if I had the money...)-Lashiec (February 17, 2008, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
...and if they're lucky that their AM2 board support AM2+ - not all of them do, at least not without BIOS upgrades, and apparently that might not even be enough?

Lashiec:
Uh, that I don't know. The BIOS upgrades were released a bit ago, but even with specifically designed boards for the chips, you usually run into problems. I suppose for a while it will be a hit or miss effort, although presently I don't know a single person who carried on the upgrade.

nosh:
80-90C? That's insane... that must be a really cramped minitower case :-s

--- End quote ---

It's not! It's one of those bigass ones and it isn't crammed with too many components either.  :( But it has just one fan at the rear. I meant to ask about cooling anyway, this issue recurred and drove me batshit - I _think_ I've finally narrowed it down successfully to the gfx card overheating. The card doesn't have its own fan and I'm not sure if I can attach one to it.

If I go for additional fans for the cabinet where would they get attached? Will I need to go for a new cabinet with a big (suction) fan at the side in addition to the rear fan or will they fit on my mobo somehow? I would ideally like to go for a system that actually cools the air coz the ambient temperature here in Bombay can get pretty high (in the 30s) during the summers if I shut off the air conditioning. I've also heard of drive bay(?) fans, sitting in an unused CD drive slot and sucking in air, seemed pretty interesting - are these any good?     

Lashiec:
Well, most cases usually come with pre-made places for putting more fans. One or two front fans to suck "cool" air (well, 30 ºC is lower than 85 ºC anyway :D) in the front would help to create some airflow in the inside. Look if the case accepts fans in the side panel (in this instance, it would be to get an influx of air directly over the CPU, the motherboard, and the GPU, and to not break the airflow created by the intake and outtake fans), the top (rare) or the bottom (even more rare).

You can usually attach an aftermarket cooler to the GPU, but if it does not use one (not even a heatsink?) maybe it does not need it. If it uses a heatsink you can attach a fan with zip ties (not very high-tech but works ;D)

I don't know about drive bay fans, but I guess that are primarily used to create a wind tunnel for the PSU.

A system to cool air? Now that's rare... maybe water cooling, but that's expensive. It does not cool air inside the case, but it's a better cooler than air. Even with those high temperatures, I think you would not have problems using simple fans. In summer, we're around 40 ºC, and the components are more or less at a good temperature. And I don't have any of those fancy air conditioners ;D

wreckedcarzz:
My case's front intake fan utilizes 3 of my 9 available drive bays :tellme:, but man can it suck air! :D

You probably need to get a new case to do that however, as mine was fitted for my case. Check and see if it is available for your specific model. :-\

EDIT: In case your interested, I am using an Antec Ninehundred Gamer Case

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version