ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cooking my PC: what NOT to do

<< < (2/10) > >>

Carol Haynes:
What are you using a fan for ... if someone else is paying (thank your dad profusely) why didn't you got for water cooling - now that is cool and quiet! I hope your new case has all the flashing lights and looks super cool - how about a photo?

wreckedcarzz:
Christ, you're damn lucky you didn't fry your computer, especially since it's a Pentium4 you have - those things get darn hot. For comparison, my Core2Quad Q6600 idles at thirty-something centigrade.

And do stress-test the machine, if you're very unlucky there's a risk you have partially damaged the CPU, like blown part of the cache. If you get any MACHINE CHECK BSODs, time to cry.

Btw, a decent computer case with good airflow means a lot, too, and a couple of 120mm casefans (those are pretty silent) are really great as well, especially having an intake fan cooling your harddrives is a good idea. If you have a sucky cramped case, installing a good CPU cooler is pretty much a waste.

Oh, and your computer isn't running any faster because of the new cooler, that's just placebo. It should be running cooler, though :)
-f0dder (February 17, 2008, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pentium D, but same difference. And 30C?? Wow.

Yes, I am still testing it- however it seems to be running alright so far, no system problems.

As far as a case goes, I have enough airflow to get a windtunnel going. I have a 150mm front intake fan at the bottom (cold air sinks), my insulated hard drive on top of that with a 120mm fan blowing on that, a 120mm fan cooling my TV tuner card (fan sits on top of PSU), a 150mm exhaust fan, and a 200mm top exhaust fan. All but the front and 2 120mms are set to Low.

What are you using a fan for ... if someone else is paying (thank your dad profusely) why didn't you got for water cooling - now that is cool and quiet! I hope your new case has all the flashing lights and looks super cool - how about a photo?
-Carol Haynes (February 17, 2008, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did, I begged for water cooling. Never got it. I wanted, specifically, the CoolIT Eliminator CPU cooler (http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=28) and it is staying on my to-get list until I do get it.

As for lights, yea I do have quite a bit of LEDs...will post a photo in about 10 minutes just for the heck of it :)

wreckedcarzz:
OK, here are my oh-so-amazing (not :P) images.

First one is my normal setup- yes, I do use a desk pull out drawer thingy for keyboard, mouse, speaker, monitor and USB reciever placement. And yes, it does almost fall on a regular basis. Gets your attention real quick when a monitor is falling on you, though. ;D (Notice the keyboard is glowing)

Second is PC insides w/ camera flash to show components. The wires look like a mess but the case is roomy and they are all bundled up.

Third is my usual nighttime LED look, where the whole thing glows. Looks great when your owning some people in Halo. :)

-Brandon

Lashiec:
Mmmm, that case could use some cable neating work :)

f0dder:
Pentium D, but same difference. And 30C?? Wow.
-wreckedcarzz (February 17, 2008, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
PentiumD == Pentium4, just a different name. Probably because 64-bit support and dualcore were added. But it's the same architecture as P4, which means relatively low performance, compared to the power it drains and the heat it generates.

Well, between 30-40C idle. I should install an app that names the sensors, I don't know which figure is my motherboard/chipset and which is the CPU :p. Under full load, I push the system above 50C, but I don't think I've reached 60C yet. I do undervolt the CPU by the way, to make it drain less power and thus generate less heat - no stability issues so far.

As for your setup, you really need a bigger table, to provide arm rest. Otherwise you're ruining your body... takes a while before you notice it, but when you do, you'll regret it.

And you really should resize those pictures, pretty insane resolution to use on forums :P. 800x600 or 1024x768 would be a lot better...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version