ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Interrupts" - killing my CPU!

<< < (2/6) > >>

f0dder:
Btw iirc it's not necessary to reboot, I'm pretty sure I found a workaround where you can just disable+reenable the controller, and new DMA settings would be applied... but reboot is the safe way :)

nosh:
Bang on the money, f0dder! Thanks. I had a optical media recovery software that would do this every time so I did know about the PIO issue killing burn speeds but I never would have guessed it could cause interrupt spikes too. This probably happened coz a friend got a DVD-RW to my place a couple of days back that kept coastering for some reason, I generally just stick to DVD+R. Why can't these momos atleast warn me when they do this?  :mad:

Carol, the firewall was off but yeah 70-80% idle is not that unusual if I'm in hands-off mode. :) I try and stay away from any kind of realtime scanners or (content) indexing programs as far as possible. It's not always like that of course - I run Firefox, after all.

f0dder:
80% idle when not doing anything? That's 20% CPU usage :o :tellme:

With Process Explorer running (spends a little cpu time on every update), firefox idling in the background, PuTTY connected to my server and showing rTorrent (which updates a couple of times per second?), and some other apps (sitting idle), I generally sit between 0 and 1.15% CPU usage. 20% CPU usage on idle sounds very very wrong.

wreckedcarzz:
I hit 7-20% CPU usage idle, and all programs are sitting in my tray except Firefox, Windows Task Manager, Pidgin and Xfire. I don't see how you can get such a low CPU usage, f0dder :tellme:

f0dder:
Well, I do have a quadcore CPU now, but back on my dualcore it was max ~3.5% CPU or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version