ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Internet Explorer doesn't report it is running on Windows ???

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dirhael:
Nope that didn't do it ...

I also decided to check Windows Update History so I went to Windows Update webpage and this is what I get ...

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only.
To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

--- End quote ---
-Carol Haynes (February 13, 2008, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, something is definitely wrong... Could you post the content of the following file:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\SIGNUP\install.ins

Just as a reference, here's mine running XP SP3:

--- ---[Branding]
CompanyName=Microsoft Corporation
Wizard_Version=7.00.5730.13
Version=7,00,5730,13
Custom_Key=MICROSO
Global=1
IE4 Welcome Msg=1
Platform=2
GUID={7211FFE6-C149-11D0-AFF0-00AA003758BB}
Type=0
NoClear=1

Carol Haynes:
Got pretty much the same (XP SP2) except lines 2 and 3 end in 11 instead of 13.

Dirhael:
Got pretty much the same (XP SP2) except lines 2 and 3 end in 11 instead of 13.
-Carol Haynes (February 13, 2008, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds strange, as those two places are the only ones I'm able to locate that has anything to do with the user agent in IE. That said, could there be some other software that's changing it? Not necessarily malware, but I know certain security suites like Norton does strip out certain parts of the information sent about your browser...and I wouldn't be surprised if others does this as well. What results did you get by visiting whatismyuseragent.com?

Carol Haynes:
I think it must be to do with one of the updates MS pushed out that I installed today (since other BBC users are experiencing similar). Trouble is I have tried removing the patches installed today but most of them don't have an uninstall option and having removed all those I can it makes no difference.

What is worrying is that I can't get to Windows Update any more so I can't even manually check for new updates.

Dirhael:
I think it must be to do with one of the updates MS pushed out that I installed today (since other BBC users are experiencing similar). Trouble is I have tried removing the patches installed today but most of them don't have an uninstall option and having removed all those I can it makes no difference.

What is worrying is that I can't get to Windows Update any more so I can't even manually check for new updates.
-Carol Haynes (February 13, 2008, 08:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I realize that this is just a workaround and not a fix, but what you could do is this:

* Install Ad Muncher. This program is primarily for filtering ads in any program that connects to the web, but it has a couple of other features as well and one of them is what we're after. See, the same way that this program lets you filter ads in *any* program that connects to the internet, it also lets you change the user agent for any program. It's not freeware, but you can trial it without nags or anything for 30 days, and I'm sure either MS or BBC will fix it within that time-frame.

* After installing Ad Muncher, open the settings dialogue and go to the "Options" tab, and in the second tab level select "Advanced" and fill it out like this:
Internet Explorer doesn't report it is running on Windows ???

This should allow you to access Windows Update without problems again :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version