ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which idiot came up with Windows Defender * UAC

<< < (4/4)

Carol Haynes:
The trouble is the lack of popups means that you cannot control what it does.

Personally I want this sort of app to pop up and say "App xxxxx is unrecognised - I you know it can be trusted click Always Allow". If you want to opt into the TechNet database thingy that doesn't work that is fine - your response can be logged and ignored but at least you can say that the apps you use every day are trusted. As it stands it either does nothing or blocks essential applications without any control.

Like UAC the temptation is simply to remove the annoyance altogether and take control over what you install yourself - and possibly use a thirdy party anti spyware app to do the job properly.

Lashiec:
Just in case, do check the options of Defender. There are a few options that come disabled by default, and one of them may be "Notify about software not yet classified" or similar.

Stoic Joker:
While I've always likes/used Windows Defender, it decided to trigger on Angry IP Scanner this morning ... Which its never done before. Whitelisting it was simple enough, but the fact that I had to speaks to a rather alarming trend by the AV types of blindly triggering on anything that has "potential" for misuse.

At any rate (Not to side track the thread) there is an online petition to the AV companies to whitelist the Angry IP Scanner located here http://www.petitiononline.com/angryip/petition.html for anyone interested.

Carol I know you're mad at WD but the problem seems to be a larger industry wide issue with FP's spiraling out of control as the AV companies fight with the fact that the 80/20 rule works better then they do ... and trying to protect (the masses) people from themselves is impossible (and foolish).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version