ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FTP - How do I duplicate / copy remote folder?

(1/3) > >>

Ampa:
I am working on a website MyDomain.net and have created a subdomain Preview.MyDomain.net where I make all changes.

Once the client has OKed the update I need to copy the Preview site over the Live site, but Filezilla doesn't have the ability to copy - indeed a search of their FAQ reveals that "there is no copy command in the FTP Protocol".

OK so what is the solution?

Sure, I could reupload the site from my local drive to the remote server, but surely copying on the remote server would be far quicker?

Ampa

wilfrednilsen:
The FTP protocol is outdated. Use WebDAV – i.e. request that your hosting provider makes it possible to use WebDAV.

Windows and Mac have built in WebDAV clients. For example using the Windows WebDAV mini redirector, map a drive letter in Windows to your remote server and use it as a standard drive.

allen:
on a unix system with shell access, you could telnet in and use the ol cp -r dirname copyname

sri:
Try www.net2ftp.com.

Ampa:
Thanks for the input.

wilfrednilsen: WebDav looks interesting (I need to read more), but on DreamHost there seem to be potential issues with using it (regarding the unique / peculiar way they set up users, is you enable WebDav you loose the ability to FTP and SSH)

Allen: I knew that there must be some command-line magic, I'll read up on shell access - not something I've had cause to do before.

Sri: This is possible, and indeed the service is already installed on DreamHost. I tend to shy away from using it though, in favour of an installable application - perhaps I should rethink!

And to answer my own question with another alternative...

AceFTP (freeware, but not OSS) seems significantly more powerful than Filezilla, and allows for easy point and click, drag and drop moving and copying on remote servers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version