ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Pre-copy file verification utility

<< < (2/2)

GBark:
 :Thmbsup: WOW!  :Thmbsup:

I knew this was the place to come for answerers.  f0dder's point about further stressing a dying drive was one of my concerns as well. I just didn't know about the alternative copy utilities suggested by tinjaw & jovejupiter.

I'll check both of these programs out and see which one wins a spot in my toolbox.

Thanks for the speedy replies. I'll keep one eye on this thread while I check them out.

GBark

tinjaw:
I'll check both of these programs out and see which one wins a spot in my toolbox.
-GBark (February 06, 2008, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

They both should be in your toolbox. They focus on two different things. Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier focuses on getting data from a dying hard drive. TeraCopy's focus is on day-to-day use. Since both have different specialties, each will outdo the other when doing what they were made to do.

GBark:
You guys are amazing!

Both of these utilities have earned a place in my toolbox. Each has it's own strengths though so one is better suited for some situations than the other, and vice-versa.

TeraCopy is great if you want to totally replace Window's Explorer file copy function. It's standalone function is functionally identical, just has to be manually invoked instead of picking up on drag & drop file copy/move operations automatically. It is nice, small, fast, and has a nice GUI. And, of course, it manages damaged files nicely, allowing you to skip them and come back later to deal with them. TeraCopy does have to be installed, probably so that it can integrate with Windows to replace explorer's copy/move functions.

Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier is equally fantastic. It doesn't formally "install"; it just runs. For that reason alone it will probably me my first choice when working with a dying drive. It has lots of configuration options including how hard it will work to read a damaged file. It, too, allows you to work around damaged files and return later to fight with them. This utility is also available in a Linux app. which is perfect since I'm working on a 'puter that I can only read files using a linux CD.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I feel like I've won the lottery or something.  :eusa_dance:

What a hoot!

As I'm writing the above, tinjaw posts his comments saying almost exactly the same thing.  :up: As I always say: "Great minds think alike."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version