topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Pre-copy file verification utility  (Read 7119 times)

GBark

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Please state the nature of your emergency. . .
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Pre-copy file verification utility
« on: February 05, 2008, 07:26 PM »
How about a utility that will simply verify that every selected file can be successfully read from the hard disk without a read error? The program should create a text file containing the filenames of every file that cannot be read. Besides simply giving one a warm fuzzy, it would be a tremendous help when trying to copy a bazillion files from a damaged hard drive to a replacement or backup storage device.

When trying to copy multiple files / folders in Windows, as soon as the system encounters a disk read error you are presented with an error dialog and the copy process is aborted. You then have to reselect the files beginning with the file after the one with the problem and try to copy again. This can go on and on if there are a lot of damaged files to be copied. This utility would allow one to quickly copy off the available files leaving one to either repair or give up on the damaged ones later.

I'm often asked to repair friend's computers (usually after a serious crash without backups :'( ) with the eventual question being: "Can you same these particular files?" This is usually followed by a list of favorite pictures, emails, letters to Mom, etc. Often I can either fix the problem or at least recover most data from a physically damaged disk; but since files are stored independently of the directories, simply being able to see a complete directory listing of files doesn't mean that the files themselves can be read.

I've spent time Googling and searching / scanning the coding snacks here and can't find anything that looks like it would accomplish this simple task without being an 800 pound gorilla utility that slices, dices, and darns your socks.

I figured the team here is the best place to come looking for help. Any help /suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I"m thinking of trying something myself, but I know my limits. I'm actually considering a Visual Basic routine using error handlers to process the problem files. Problem is, not every system has the runtimes installed, etc.

Thanks is advance.

Gbark

The more you know, the more you need to know more; ya know?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Pre-copy file verification utility
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:24 PM »
TeraCopy already does something similar to this. It is free. They also have a Pro version with extras.

Copy your files faster with TeraCopy_1202264661953.pngIDEA: Pre-copy file verification utility

jovejupiter

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:17 AM »
Try Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier.

http://www.roadkil.net/unstopcp.html

It allows you to copy all of the specified files from one location to another without stopping if it encounters unreadable files.

I've found it to be very useful.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:31 AM »
The best solution is definitely to use a better file copier that Windows explorer. Trying to read all files just to take note of unreadable ones, then re-reading the files to copy, is a bad++ idea. First of all it increases the time to copy, which is bad enough, but if you're dealing with a dying harddrive... you want to put as little stress as possible on the drive, and get the job done ASAP.
- carpe noctem

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:38 AM »
+1 for Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, it helped me get a lot of small files off a dying harddisk just recently.

GBark

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:51 PM »
 :Thmbsup: WOW!  :Thmbsup:

I knew this was the place to come for answerers.  f0dder's point about further stressing a dying drive was one of my concerns as well. I just didn't know about the alternative copy utilities suggested by tinjaw & jovejupiter.

I'll check both of these programs out and see which one wins a spot in my toolbox.

Thanks for the speedy replies. I'll keep one eye on this thread while I check them out.

GBark

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:51 PM »
I'll check both of these programs out and see which one wins a spot in my toolbox.

They both should be in your toolbox. They focus on two different things. Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier focuses on getting data from a dying hard drive. TeraCopy's focus is on day-to-day use. Since both have different specialties, each will outdo the other when doing what they were made to do.

GBark

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 09:02 PM »
You guys are amazing!

Both of these utilities have earned a place in my toolbox. Each has it's own strengths though so one is better suited for some situations than the other, and vice-versa.

TeraCopy is great if you want to totally replace Window's Explorer file copy function. It's standalone function is functionally identical, just has to be manually invoked instead of picking up on drag & drop file copy/move operations automatically. It is nice, small, fast, and has a nice GUI. And, of course, it manages damaged files nicely, allowing you to skip them and come back later to deal with them. TeraCopy does have to be installed, probably so that it can integrate with Windows to replace explorer's copy/move functions.

Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier is equally fantastic. It doesn't formally "install"; it just runs. For that reason alone it will probably me my first choice when working with a dying drive. It has lots of configuration options including how hard it will work to read a damaged file. It, too, allows you to work around damaged files and return later to fight with them. This utility is also available in a Linux app. which is perfect since I'm working on a 'puter that I can only read files using a linux CD.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I feel like I've won the lottery or something.  :eusa_dance:

What a hoot!

As I'm writing the above, tinjaw posts his comments saying almost exactly the same thing.  :up: As I always say: "Great minds think alike."