ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera M2 + Gmail + IMAP = not recommended

<< < (4/6) > >>

scancode:
I'd say 9mm, but it's up to you. Personally, I use no tags, and Windows Live Mail :)

jgpaiva:
Ok, now i really recommend it!

I was able to set the "[gmail]/sent" folder as the sent folder for opera, and now all is good. No more repeated emails, and all emails are correctly labled as sent when they are sent by me, as opposed to POP, where i did get the emails i sent though the web interface in opera, but they weren't labeled as "sent".

Now let's just wait for some spam to arrive to see if it gets in opera's spam box or in the inbox. (unfortunatelly, i think it'll appear in the inbox, as there's no option in opera to set the IMAP spam folder).

allen:
Encouraged by your experience, I went ahead and gave Opera/Imap another whirl.  Having used gmail since its early Beta, I've become quite accustomed to (and fond of) its simpler approach.  While I used to use The Bat! and painstakingly organize my mail into an abyss of folders, I've found the bigger the collection of mail the more a lack of organization (with emphasis on an efficient search system) pays off.  The ability to use gmail and M2 together with synchronisity has always been a bit of a dream -- and it looks like, for the most part, that's now a reality.

So far things are looking good. My biggest problem right now is a bit opposite yours -- M2's spam filter is hitting false positives like crazy -- even with my correcting it, it's still tagging a *lot* of good mail as spam.  I emptied my spam folder to eliminate actual spam, so it's more a nuissance than a problem -- just marking a lot of mail as not spam.  Hopefully, at some point, the filter will catch on.

I'm optimistic; I've used M2 previously--once downloaded my entire gmail message base via pop 3 and the spam filter, once trained worked amazingly -- but I've never seen so much false positive action in my life.  It'd bizarre. I'd sort of hoped you had the same problem, perhaps indicative of an imap bug or something.  I must just have bad luck. The messages that are being flagged really don't seem particularly suspicious to me . . . well formed, literate correspondence with web development clients and the occasional mailing list message (Which is also being appropriately detected as mailing list messages...).  I'm a bit baffled. Might have to try to figure out how to reset the spam filter.

nontroppo:
-- but I've never seen so much false positive action in my life.
--- End quote ---

As I've been suffering from ghost mails in the 9.5beta, I thought I'd hose my mail folder and start again, using IMAP for two (non-gmail) servers. Almost all my mail ended up in spam. Opera has a very questionable policy, which will tag spam from known contacts. They do this because viruses can propagate, and contacts email addresses can be compromised etc. But this increases the quantity of false positives, which for me is a cardinal sin, false negatives are much less destructive... I've submitted bugs on that, and also the fact it can flag replies to mail *I* sent (you can analyse headers to know it is a reply). Allen did you use 9.2x or 9.5beta?

jgpaiva:
About spam: while i was downloading the email through imap, i also got the same problem.
I suppose that's the spam filter "learning".
The solution is simple: go to gmail and clean the spam folder. Then, go to opera, select all of the emails on the spam folder and select "not spam".
After i did that, no more non-spam emails got in the spam folder. (and i've already received a few spam emails that did get in there.

nontroppo: yep, i also noticed that most of my emails that got in the spam folder were chain-letters and alike.

One thing i love about this new config is that i've created a hotkey to toggle "spam state" of messages. It's VERY useful, and really fast!
Of course, i found out how to create it through nontropppo's great opera wiki!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version