ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera M2 + Gmail + IMAP = not recommended

<< < (3/6) > >>

nontroppo:
Yes, ghost mails are a hard-to-track down bug in 9.5.

Changes in IMAP?

Rachid Finge: How would you rate Opera’s current IMAP implementation in comparison to those of your main competitors? I especially mean Thunderbird, which seems industry leader when it comes to IMAP protocol support. What kind of rework are you planning when it comes to IMAP?

and

Graste: What improvements will the new IMAP backend bring in Kestrel and Peregrine? Will the IMAP standards support be similar complete as in clients like Mulberry?

A: As Graste mentioned, Kestrel contains a rewritten IMAP backend, based strictly on the IMAP standard, with (improved) support for features such as nested folders, keywording and working offline.

I wouldn’t exactly call Thunderbird the industry leader when it comes to IMAP support - Mulberry takes that one hands down. However, I don’t think we’ll easily be able to support the amount of IMAP extensions that Mulberry supports: Mulberry is a client that’s specifically designed around the IMAP protocol, while M2 is a client with its own design that supports IMAP as one of the possible protocols for the messages it stores. In other words, our goal is not to support as many features and extensions of IMAP as possible, but to make M2’s way of handling messages work seamlessly with as many IMAP servers as possible. We take a similar approach to Thunderbird in that respect.
--- End quote ---
http://operawatch.com/category/news/mail-client

jgpaiva:
Ok.. Just reporting that my trouble is now sorted out, i configured gmail as mentioned above and opera's IMAP has just finished the full sync.

I'm an happy camper again! :D

iphigenie:
I really like the way m2 allows me to work with email quickly without having to move email in tons of folders.

If they added some form of tagging it'd be close to perfect for my home use  :Thmbsup:

allen:
So everything going ok? Back when gmail first offered IMAP, I jumped for joy -- but was quickly disappointed when, while waiting for Opera to sync, gmail blocked access to my account. . . how dare I use the new IMAP functionality!  New service, I suppose they needed time to tweak their malicious use sniffers. . . I'll let you be the canary, I'm afraid to try gmail/opera again.  (This is actually my second gmail account, my first was magically closed/locked out and they refused to re-activate it :/) -- early beta.

How many messages are you synchronizing? And are you downloading bodies or no?

jgpaiva:
Yep, everything ok.

I have 10k emails (i think it's something around that) which represent 500mb, i think.
I'm not synchronizing buddies (or you meant a completelly different thing and i misunderstood you completelly? :) )

It takes a bit more time to check the mail (nothing noticieable, i'm just being picky), and it has a "synchonize" when you start opera which takes about 3 seconds.
There are only 2 important problems:

It took a whole afternoon to sync it all (but my wireless router has been acting really stupid, this it might be related).
And, some spam passed though the filter (3 emails) in that first day. Hasn't happened ever since (i already have the normal 100 spam emails on gmail's spam box). I'm just saying this because i'm not sure if the fact i created that "send all emails to archive" gmail filter might or might not have affected gmail's spam filter.

Oh, also:
Opera doesn't identify gmail's "sent" filter as a filter, thus, all emails i send get repeated in opera's inbox (because they are in 2 folders in gmail). This isn't anoying to me because they don't show up as unread. Also, this problem might be caused by a misconfiguration on my side, because opera has a "folder for sent emails" setting which i still haven't figured out how to set to [gmail]/sent see followup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version