ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Save the Cookies!

<< < (4/5) > >>

Cloq:
Not really, as even with "safe surfing" you can get hit by surf-by banner ad exploits. Reputable (heh) ad servers have been hacked in the past to feed end-users exploits.

Well then, you're adding a lot more security than just the browser. I don't get why pepole are messing with the hosts file though, and ad blocker is more effective and makes the hosts file superfluous anyway.
-f0dder (February 06, 2008, 06:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why use a hostfile? If your request (to an ad site name such as www.doubleclick.com or any big bannered ad server) is denied then you have just potenially saved yourself from a ad based background script drive by download and bandwidth to boot. Your typical ad blocker and/or proxy based ad blocker usually downloads the entire page then filters it according to whatever rules or actions that are programmed in it.

Bluetack B.I.S.S maintains a well monitored hostfile used by thousands of users (can't verify that without knowing their download counter) plus a lot of the users provide feedback on their hostfile.

Simply put, a hostfile cuts the request before it even goes out to the net. Proactive.  8)

Yes, hostfiles can be poisoned/altered and all that nasty stuff but that would mean your machine already has other issues that need to be addressed.. the fact of the matter is, nothing is 100% safe aside from not going on the net period.

When everything is said and done, I would recommend using a hostfile from a reputable source. It's worked rather well for 10+ years :-* *knock on wood*

Critical surfing safely software: hostfile, ad muncher and a good antivirus program.. and by golly avoid those freebie screensavers/ringtones/games!

f0dder:
Simply put, a hostfile cuts the request before it even goes out to the net. Proactive.  8)-Cloq (February 06, 2008, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

If your ad blocker + rules are decent, you get the same - no reason to make a big hosts file. It's scary how often that file is read... sure, it'll be filesystem cached, but it still has to be parsed on every read.

Cloq:
It's scary how often that file is read... sure, it'll be filesystem cached, but it still has to be parsed on every read.
-f0dder (February 06, 2008, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, I agree with you on that... and it can drastically slow your machine down.

The fix is (XP and 2000) you must disable the DNS Cache service before using a hostfile. If you don't disable the dns cache, XP will try and resolve/parse every bleeping site in your hostfile.

The slowest machine I have used a hostfile on is a P3 900mhz laptop. Seemed to work wonders so I was happy. I supoose ymmv depending on what antivirus/antispyware you use, since I know some of them seem to think hostfiles are evil and sit there scanning them forever.

Darwin:
ast I remember you were off to Africa or something... how'd that go?
-Hirudin (February 05, 2008, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

[Increasinly Offtopic] I was in Belgium over the summer (six weeks) went really well, thanks! The highlight was meeting up with Tomos. I spent the rest of my time in a cave...[/Increasingly Offtopic]

f0dder:
It's scary how often that file is read... sure, it'll be filesystem cached, but it still has to be parsed on every read.
-f0dder (February 06, 2008, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, I agree with you on that... and it can drastically slow your machine down.

The fix is (XP and 2000) you must disable the DNS Cache service before using a hostfile. If you don't disable the dns cache, XP will try and resolve/parse every bleeping site in your hostfile.

The slowest machine I have used a hostfile on is a P3 900mhz laptop. Seemed to work wonders so I was happy. I supoose ymmv depending on what antivirus/antispyware you use, since I know some of them seem to think hostfiles are evil and sit there scanning them forever.
-Cloq (February 06, 2008, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Disable the DNS cache? Sounds like a pretty bad idea to me. And is the hosts-file even used at all, then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version