ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

advice needed: weird lockup/freeze (process/dll/disk/cache?? issue in explorer)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lashiec:
This screams "shell extension". I don't know if Process Monitor also catches the names of the shell extensions, but you can try that. My advice is to disable them one by one, and see if the symptoms are already there. Disable first those that could be suspicious, that is, those ones that do something more than providing the usual menu in the shell (like you did with QT and Stardock). I hope it can be of some help.

To kill the frozen apps, try something "heavy", like antirootkits. Or maybe Unlocker.

mouser:
because it's happening on right click mostly it does sound like it might be an ill-behaving context menu extension.

you might try nirsoft's context menu extension manager and disable everything that looks in the slightest bit fishy:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shell_menu_view.html

Carol Haynes:
Use ShellEXView to disable every shell extension that wasn't included with Windows and then see if the problem persists.

You can re-enable shell stuff again bit by bit to track down the one causing issues - but sometimes they can be problems with interactions between shell extensions and they are a real begger to track down.

I had a siuation a couple of years ago where simply the presence of one shell extension stopped another one functioning properly - everything was fine if either extension was disabled but the two together ...

iphigenie:
oh, cool, thats way easier than removing them all  :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
I experience this occasionally as well, iphigenie so would be interested in reading about the results of your investigation!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version