ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much email do you keep…and why?

<< < (3/7) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
The reason I keep my emails is very simple... I can aways throw it away later, but once it's gone....

superboyac:
I consider emails as part of my personal history.  Do you throw letters away?  And since it's so easy to just keep digital information on a hard drive, I don't see why you wouldn't keep emails.  I've kept all of my emails since 1996.  It's almost like a diary...it's a history of your life.  Your kids can one day read what you were like 30 years ago (that might be good or bad!  depending on the content).  That's why I hate webmail, you don't have as much control as to how to store your emails.

For those of you that cherish this aspect of email, check out the software Mailbag Assistant (by fookes).  It lets you extract emails in a powerful way and you can present them in convenient formats (webpages, text files, etc.).  I've never really used it heavily, but it could be useful in the future, I'm thinking.

Renegade:
UPDATE:

I've finally switched my primary machine (mostly) over to my Vista box and have Windows Mail running there. Not too sure how it will pan out, but it seems good for now.

I forgot to mention WHY I keep email -- Mostly because I can refer to it later. Some email I must have to refer to later, but a lot doesn't matter. That's just me being a packrat and paranoid (i.e. I *MIGHT* need to refer to it later...) :)

chunkit:
I consider emails as part of my personal history.  Do you throw letters away?  And since it's so easy to just keep digital information on a hard drive, I don't see why you wouldn't keep emails.  I've kept all of my emails since 1996.  It's almost like a diary...it's a history of your life.  Your kids can one day read what you were like 30 years ago (that might be good or bad!  depending on the content).  That's why I hate webmail, you don't have as much control as to how to store your emails.

For those of you that cherish this aspect of email, check out the software Mailbag Assistant (by fookes).  It lets you extract emails in a powerful way and you can present them in convenient formats (webpages, text files, etc.).  I've never really used it heavily, but it could be useful in the future, I'm thinking.
-superboyac (February 02, 2008, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
I guess I feel the same way as you. When I look at past mails I can relive the different periods of my life.

Right now I'm using pop3 so I download my mails. It's a little troublesome as I'm having trouble migrating my email to another computer. Perhaps I should start clearing my old emails.

Anyway I just registered to make this post. :P

jgpaiva:
Anyway I just registered to make this post. :P
-chunkit (February 03, 2008, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
And you did very well!!

Welcome to DC ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version