ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me build the ultimate metal playlist

<< < (5/5)

app103:
Back around 2004, I had a chatroom on a network that contained an abundance of Japanese channels, that all appeared at the bottom of the channel list. My channel was located at the very bottom, after all of those. This was deliberate, so mine would be at the top if you flipped the list (made it easier to find). Unlike everyone else in the English speaking world on that network, I wasn't going to compete with them to be at the top of the channel list.

Being at the bottom of the list meant seeing a lot of Japanese channels on the list every day. One day, one of them caught my eye, mainly because its topic was in English: Japanese Progressive Rock and Metal (ENGLISH ONLY IN HERE)

Curious, I decided to check it out. It was hosted by a 16 year old Japanese girl with very good English skills, that was more than thrilled to have an articulate native English speaker to talk to (rather than someone that communicates in AOL kiddie-speak), and she was quite eager to spread and share what she felt was the best metal music her country had to offer.

She sent me 3 files:

The first one, I deleted it as soon as I heard the vocals, since I can't handle anything that sounds like growling in English, nevermind in Japanese.

The 2nd one, the vocals sounded like a whiny high pitched very feminine guy. Deleted that one too.

But the 3rd one was these guys. I kept that one.  ;)

f0dder:
Oh, how could I forget?

Saturnus - Christ Goodbye. Great stuff, although I prefer the Roskilde Festival live version from "For The Loveless Lonely Nights", it's a bit more uptempo.

Music_Guy:
I'm surprised Pantera only came up once. Cemetary Gates, or Cowboys from Hell maybe ... A must in my playlist :)

There's something about Mudvayne's - World So Cold also that I can't get enough of, or else maybe some of their earlier stuff like Dig if you wanted only the heavy stuff.

CWuestefeld:
Just finished reading "The 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists". Highly recommended.

I got some nostalgia from it, as well as some more depth on some music I was only partially familiar with, and some other stuff that was new to me (e.g. Ron Jarzombek in Blotted Science).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version