ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Digital ink/tablet pc: worth the effort?

<< < (3/7) > >>

tabletguy:
Also, keep in mind that Vista has handwriting support built in already. I use mine for language study, so I got the Ultimate version, which also has the MUI (Multi User Interface) language packs available for free. Since I have actually used those, it balances out the extra cost. You can also buy individual language packs (if you have a less expensive version of Vista).

So, I just bought a regular laptop, and am going to get a USB tablet.

BTW, I already have a motion tablet pc (separate keyboard), and while it's useful as a tablet, I found that I wasn't using it like that much of the time. I think for me, this will be a more optimum solution. Most of them are too large to just wander around with in hand, etc.

So, if your dad wants to use in a meeting, just set up the laptop off to the side a bit (that's acceptable these days), and plug in a tablet for notetaking, etc.

However, if you're doing this at a school setting, perhaps a full tablet would be a better use. But, then, that's getting a larger percentage of time with that form factor. I think that's key to what's needed.

J-Mac:
I need a new notebook and I have been agonizing over the tablet/standard notebook for a while!  I would love to try one out for a while to see if I would really use it as I seem to think I would, but no one gives you a tablet to "try out" for a time!!

I, like most here I am pretty sure, don't get a new notebook very often!  So getting a tablet and finding out it is not all that would be a mistake that I'd have to live with for quite a while.  But the last two times I purchased notebooks I had thought hard about a tablet and then I spend the next 3 yrs wondering if I should have.

It's a shame that there isn't a "lending program" for such items - we could really benefit from something like that!

I'm not much of an artist - I have done some serious drawing and painting, but not a whole lot. But I could see taking notes longhand.  Yes, I am one of those who never really got very fast at typing!  :-[  And now I cannot even use both hands to type with; I often have to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and when I do use the keyboard, I just got Direct Access to help make it a bit easier.  But with a tablet I would be taking notes longhand with my good hand - right - and I could still use the keyboard if I wanted to use it.

Plus I like to scribble or draw some graphics here and there when I take notes - a little of my right-brrain sneaking in I giess!!

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac:
BTW, if I do go with a regular, non-touchscreen notebook, I would love to find one that is as thin as that new Mac looks to be.  I take it everyone has seen the commercials for that new Air Mac, or Mac Air, or whatever it is they call it?  Doggone that looks thin!  Almost like a couple pieces of paper together!  How do they do that?   :D

Jim

Dormouse:
Whether a tablet PC is worth the cost and effort depends on what you will use it for.

For just taking notes in meetings etc., if you do not need  access to other functions of the PC, something like the AceCad (http://www.acecad.com.tw/) might be better. It has the huge advantage of starting and closing virtually instantaneously and it is easy to upload and download notes to a PC.

For drawing, and writing generally, on to a computer a Wacom tablet might well be better (much more sensitive and subtle pen) and can be used on all the computers you use so long as you can install the software on them. I would agree with J-Mac in the other thread that you should not be stingy on this - Wacom is in my experience worth the higher cost over other brands and you need the size and functions that you will use more than any money you might save; only worth going cheaper if you are testing out what you will actually use and will spend the extra money later if you need.

For a few quick handwritten notes, a PDA might be sufficient.

I use all of these and have never found a need for a tablet PC, but can see that for a different set of uses I might prefer the functionality of the tablet.

J-Mac:
I use all of these and have never found a need for a tablet PC, but can see that for a different set of uses I might prefer the functionality of the tablet.
-Dormouse (February 02, 2008, 04:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

After 11 PPC/WM devices in 7 years, I have quite a collection of them....

But I still want to try a tablet!!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version