ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

<< < (18/23) > >>

Shades:
You should really use your car in the same way as your computer.

It is very good for the state of the engine that when you start it up you immediately go full throttle for 30 seconds till a minute (the boot-time of your computer)...I can assure you two things, your car repair shop will love the business that you generate and you will have their phone number on speed dial.  :)

city_zen:
You should really use your car in the same way as your computer.
It is very good for the state of the engine that when you start it up you immediately go full throttle for 30 seconds till a minute (the boot-time of your computer)...I can assure you two things, your car repair shop will love the business that you generate and you will have their phone number on speed dial.  :)
-Shades (November 23, 2008, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm  :-\, I don't remember writing anything about "full throttle" or about the way I use my PC, what exactly do you mean, Shades?  :)
I'm afraid you may have not got the analogy right, it's not about straining your PC, it's about having it available for use without an unneeded delay.
I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that maybe you mean that having a faster boot up time strains your PC hardware during that (brief) moment a lot more than having a "slow" boot up time. If that is actually your statement, I think it's debatable. By watching the output file and charts generated by Bootvis, I can clearly see that neither my CPU nor my HDDs are strained during boot time.

Although harddisks are fast to spin up and register themselves with the BIOS, they are definitely not created equally.
-Shades (November 23, 2008, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
If your motherboard takes more than a few seconds to detect your HDDs, then it's probably a problem of the motherboard, not of having a boot time that's too fast

Sometimes a power supply has also problems to keep up with supplying the juice for all components at boot-time.
--- End quote ---
That's right in some cases, but fortunately not in mine. I may have a "sucky" DHCP server (f0dder dixit  :P), but I have a good power supply, indeed one of the most underrated and vital components of a PC

4wd:
Although harddisks are fast to spin up and register themselves with the BIOS, they are definitely not created equally.
--- End quote ---
If your motherboard takes more than a few seconds to detect your HDDs, then it's probably a problem of the motherboard, not of having a boot time that's too fast-city_zen (November 24, 2008, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it is more likely to be the HDDs - the HDD signals it's ready to the motherboard only after it's completed it's spin up and self-diagnostics, if any.  If the HDD is slow to spin up, (eg. it has a lot of platters), then the motherboard will fail to detect it.

Usually can be fixed by moving the offending HDD to a later scanned interface.

... indeed one of the most underrated and vital components of a PC-city_zen (November 24, 2008, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it's underrated you should replace it with one with a better rating :P

nosh:
This thread is going to provide some nice entertainment for people reading it a decade or so later. :)

I couldn't care less about my PC's boot time, the one device I need to boot fast FAST (my Symbian S60 cell) always seems to wait for my BP to reach near-critical levels first.

CleverCat:
As long as I have my morning cuppa tea in front of me.... a couple extra mins is okay! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version