ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

<< < (17/23) > >>

J-Mac:

MS Bootvis, which is not supported by MS since XP was released, can do this for some users, but I have found that it cannot complete its goal if you are running a dual core processor, which I am.
-J-Mac (January 30, 2008, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
Are you sure about that, Jim? Because I'm running a dual core CPU and Bootvis runs just fine  :huh:

-city_zen (November 23, 2008, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll find a reference for you tomorrow. (Late here now - need my beauty sleep!)

But I do know that bootvis is only for XP - never worked on Vista AFAIK.

Jim

f0dder:
On my system, the BIOS part of booting takes up roughly half of the boot time - nothing I can do about that. Never found Windows' boot time to be much of a problem. And unless you have a really sucky DHCP server, you're not going to shave even a second off your boot time... why do people obsess over boot time, anyway? Matters for laptops,  but for workstations? :)

Darwin:
Matters for laptops,  but for workstations?
-f0dder (November 23, 2008, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

With modern notebooks and efficient power management, boot time isn't much of an issue, either...

Shades:
Actually, my BIOS is set up to boot as slowly as possible. Any server I setup/administer does the same, especially if it has multiple harddisks. Although harddisks are fast to spin up and register themselves with the BIOS, they are definitely not created equally.

Sometimes a power supply has also problems to keep up with supplying the juice for all components at boot-time.

A BIOS in slow booting mode solves a lot of problems that may occur during the boot procedure.
Therefore I could not care less about the boot time from a PC.

EDIT:
@f0dder
Do you have by any chance an intel motherboard? I have one and mine takes about 2 minutes just to show the XP loading screen.

city_zen:
unless you have a really sucky DHCP server, you're not going to shave even a second off your boot time
--- End quote ---
Hmm, are you calling my DHCP server "sucky" f0dder? :P Anyway, in theory, I'd tend to agree with you on that point, but in practice, I've seen a definite improvement by assigning a static IP instead. Besides, on a home network with just a handful of PC connected, it's not a bad idea to have static IPs for each one

why do people obsess over boot time, anyway?
--- End quote ---
Again, this is very personal. It may not matter to you, but it doesn't mean it can't matter for anyone, right? In my case, when I want to start using my PC, I want to start using my PC *now* or at least in a few seconds, not in 5 minutes. Imagine if each time you're going to use your car (I don't have a car, btw, but the example is good  :D), you'd have to wait for a few minutes until the car "boots up". To some people it wouldn't matter, but I'm sure others would find it very annoying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version