ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

WikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

<< < (3/8) > >>

tomos:
can someone help me get going here!! (as said earlier I've no wiki experience :( so far)
-
I've created a new wiki
currently there's "WikiSettings" as a link in there

eh, do I just start typing or what :tellme:
help is alphabetical which might be helpful to someone but it's no quick-start-guide :D

I understand the basics of linking (I think) but dont understand how info is displayed -
are there different "notes" or "pages" - if so how do i create a new one?

thanks,
Tom
[edit] under plugins ;D I found "create new page" - I guess that's it ??

tamasd:
My bad, I didn't know that CamelCase is not the only way in Wikidpad. Thank you for correcting me.
The plugins list of Wikidpad is similar to what ConnectedText offers, another plus for Wikidpad.

Perry Mowbray:
can someone help me get going here!! (as said earlier I've no wiki experience :( so far)
-tomos (January 31, 2008, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I'll attach a very quick wink of some editing in WikidPad. You basically just
1. Type your thoughts
2. Select the word/s that you want to become a link to a new page
3. CamelCase them or surround with square brackets (which will turn them into a link)
4. Access the link by double click (which will take you to a new page)
5. go to #1 and start typing again (if you think that's cyclic, wait till you see the wink  ;))

Here's a flash of the process (If you open it in your browser it'll work):
WikidPad.swf (2599.49 kB. 39x28 - viewed 875 times.)

BTW: Can you insert inline flash here??  :-\

Perry Mowbray:
I downloaded and tried WikiPad and I tried some others as well. I've decided that outlining is not for me as a writer.
-e712 (January 31, 2008, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you tried it and it doesn't fit your mindset, that's fine. But for the benefit of others reading, I feel compelled to point out that WikidPad is not an outliner. Actually, I imagine that some wiki purists would be aghast at such an implication.

WikidPad uses a tree control, typical of outliners, to show the set of links radiating out from a given page. This shouldn't be interpreted as a representation of the wiki's informational structure. It's really just a navigational shortcut.

In data structures terms a wiki is a directed graph. It has (potentially) many incoming links to each page and many outgoing links. In an outline, a given node can only have one incoming link -- its parent. But a wiki allows any node (page) that relates to another to offer a link to it, leading eventually to a very densely packed structure.

Perhaps more importantly, if you're consistent about the way you name things in a wiki, you'll find that the interconnectedness arises all on its own. You don't need to intentionally create a link; the link manifests itself based on the usage of similar terms.
-CWuestefeld (January 31, 2008, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup: Thanks for that: very well said!! ConnectedText has a map like navigation pane that possibly demonstrates the structure more accurately.

WikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

It's very gratifying when working in a wiki to discover that you've already done something that you forgot about. As you're describing a related concept leading up to another page, you find that the link is already populated; simply by thinking descriptively and consistently, you've created a knowledge web that not only holds together, but reinforces itself.
-CWuestefeld (January 31, 2008, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true! In my short time using WikidPad I've found that WikiPageName Completion is very useful... if your naming is consistent.

e712:
My apologies for any offense taken by my referring to WikiPad as an outliner.  I plead ignorance. I can barely tell the differences among text editors, word processions, and layout programs.  I'm so dull--I knew what CamelCase meant (after I Googled it)--but it took me three days to realize why the "Camel" is in CamelCase.   

Yes, it is the case that my work habits are preventing me from understanding how WikiPad can help me compose two to ten page business reports. I would like to know what work habits _do_ work with WikiPad. I am starting a thread asking this in a more appropriate place. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version