ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

WikidPad - an IDE for your thoughts

<< < (2/8) > >>

tamasd:
That's GREAT review!
One similar app is ConnectedText. I have chosen it over Wikidpad mostly because I wanted web export, and didn't want CamelCase, but regular space between words in exported html.
ConnectedText supports other scripting languages as well, besides Python, through Windows ActiveScripting. So you can have Ruby, Perl, etc. And it has plugins - I use CT to store code snippets, and it comes with Highlight plugin so my Ruby code is nicely highlighted. There is also TeX plugin and some graph plugins - just enter some data and graph is created on the fly.
If Wikidpad didn't insist on CamelCase, I would have used it now, but ended with CT instead and I'm happy with it as well.

Ampa:
...I wanted web export, and didn't want CamelCase, but regular space between words in exported html.-tamasd (January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see why you can't achieve both things in Wikid Pad...

If I create a wiki-link as [my link with spaces] then it links to a new page called my link with spaces.

And then export via File > Export > Single HTML page or Set of  HTML pages

Perry Mowbray:
That's GREAT review!-tamasd (January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks  :Thmbsup:

One similar app is ConnectedText. -tamasd (January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you've just jogged my memory, I have looked at ConnectedText previously but never downloaded and tried it.

It's an impressive website! Beats WikidPad's hands down!!  :'(

It's also US$30 plus US$68 for an additional USB license! It would want to be good  :huh:

I have chosen it over Wikidpad mostly because I wanted web export, and didn't want CamelCase, but regular space between words in exported html.
ConnectedText supports other scripting languages as well, besides Python, through Windows ActiveScripting. So you can have Ruby, Perl, etc. And it has plugins - I use CT to store code snippets, and it comes with Highlight plugin so my Ruby code is nicely highlighted.-tamasd (January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

That certainly sounds impressive.

There is also TeX plugin and some graph plugins - just enter some data and graph is created on the fly.
-tamasd (January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

WikidPad also supports some graphics generation:
WikidPad allows access to some graphical applications which take some sort of script to generate images. You can include the script in a wiki and let the applications generate the appropriate image to show it in HTML preview and export.

The supported applications are:

*     MimeTeX to generate mathematical formulas
*     GraphViz which is a set of applications to generate directed and nondirected graphs
*     Ploticus to generate plots and charts (as you might have seen in your favorite spreadsheet program)
*     Gnuplot to generate mathematical plots
* -WikidPad Help
--- End quote ---

But I have not played with it (so didn't mention it  :-[)

If Wikidpad didn't insist on CamelCase, I would have used it now, but ended with CT instead and I'm happy with it as well.
-tamasd (January 31, 2008, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can enclose your text with square brackets to Wikify them:

--- ---[This will be a Wikified link]
In WikidPad the keyboard shortcut is CNTRL+J, for example:
Editor:

HTML:

Thanks for reminding me of ConnectedText (did you find both programmes similar to use?)

edit: Added ConnectedText purchase price

e712:
Reviews and software recommendations are the reason I became a member. Please consider doing more of them.

I downloaded and tried WikiPad and I tried some others as well. I've decided that outlining is not for me as a writer.  I do use the outline view of msWord occasionally and that will have to do for now. I have had the same experience with mind mappers and literate programming utilities -- I cannot compose at the speed of thought. Paper and pencil mindmapping, when brainstorming, is faster.

Perhaps what I need is a tutorial on using a software outliner. For example, msOutlook did not replace my paper PIM until I read the Getting-Things-Done book. I had to change my work habits slightly, but it was worth it.

Thanks again for your great work.

CWuestefeld:
I downloaded and tried WikiPad and I tried some others as well. I've decided that outlining is not for me as a writer.
-e712 (January 31, 2008, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you tried it and it doesn't fit your mindset, that's fine. But for the benefit of others reading, I feel compelled to point out that WikidPad is not an outliner. Actually, I imagine that some wiki purists would be aghast at such an implication.

WikidPad uses a tree control, typical of outliners, to show the set of links radiating out from a given page. This shouldn't be interpreted as a representation of the wiki's informational structure. It's really just a navigational shortcut.

In data structures terms a wiki is a directed graph. It has (potentially) many incoming links to each page and many outgoing links. In an outline, a given node can only have one incoming link -- its parent. But a wiki allows any node (page) that relates to another to offer a link to it, leading eventually to a very densely packed structure.

Perhaps more importantly, if you're consistent about the way you name things in a wiki, you'll find that the interconnectedness arises all on its own. You don't need to intentionally create a link; the link manifests itself based on the usage of similar terms.

It's very gratifying when working in a wiki to discover that you've already done something that you forgot about. As you're describing a related concept leading up to another page, you find that the link is already populated; simply by thinking descriptively and consistently, you've created a knowledge web that not only holds together, but reinforces itself.

On the other hand, don't get me started on the crappiness of rich text editing in most wikis. It's worse than dismal. WikidPad is probably better than average in this regard, but that is a very low bar to clear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version