topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Move email/folders from comcast webmail to new email hosting provider?  (Read 10394 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am looking to migrate my father's pop3 email account from comcast.net to a new account I created for him on my fusemail service. Does anyone know of an easy way to transfer email via pop3 with folder structure to this new service?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry Josh. I am way behind and just noticed this.

What email client are you and he using? Will he continue to use POP3 or is he moving to IMAP4?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
He is using the webmail interface at comcast and is sticking with Pop3. Right now, my major problem is that he has folders containing email and I see no way to do a manual export of all email (ala Outlook's PST Export).

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The hurdle is that POP3 doesn't natively support uploading email to the server.

I'm thinking you might want to use Thunderbird to make the transfer if IMAP is available. You could download everything locally, then connect via IMAP to the new account and upload the email via Thunderbird. Then from there on just use the webmail client and POP3.

I'm fairly confident that will work smoothly, but always test with a few emails first before you try to do the whole thing.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Josh,

Are you talking about webmail UI to webmail UI?  Or does he use an email client on a desktop PC (Or Mac or whatever machine)?

Jim

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
webmail to webmail.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
webmail to webmail.

In that case, all that I can come up with is forwarding, or as Tinjaw advised, set it up as IMAP at first. Then after all are on the server see if you can convert to POP.  The folks at Fusemail may also be able to assist you with this.  I use Fastmail and I can ask the dev's for this kind of help - sometimes thay can, sometimes not.  I have heard that Fusemail has relatively "friendly" developers. Can't hurt to write them and see if they can help.

Does he have a lot of saved messages?  Forwarding them as attachments would be the best way, but that could be done more easily if you can download them first, maybe into Outlook Express.

Jim