ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Attention Mod

<< < (12/13) > >>

mhb:
Hi everybody,

While reading through all the post concerning this topic my sometimes weird mind came up with a somewhat more complicated but maybe more effective and nun disturbing idea....

If I understood it correctly, you want to have an option to call an "expert" into a thread if his/her help is needed.
Implementing an easy solution to call a specific person can be quite annoying and disturbing as a couple of people pointed out earlier.

What do you guys think about the following system ....

Well, my system needs some setup.....

- Specific topic/fields should have assigned "experts", the information about this assignment is non public (there can me more than just one "expert")

If a threat is in a need of an expert a logged in user can trigger a SOS call to a specific expert-group by clicking on some "SOS"-button and choosing the desired expert-group. Such a help request is only issued if the thread had already a specific amount of replies and also if a specific amount of different users triggered the SOS call in this thread. This way the users in the thread first have to try to find a solution by their on and also have to agree on calling an expert. (Example: A thread needs at least 10 replies and 4 different users asking for an expert before such a call is issued)

When such help request is issued a PM is sent to all the members of the expert group and a help request for this topic is shown on the forums main page, allowing also non-assigned experts so visit the thread and help with the problem.

Just my 2cents on such an "Invitation"-System.

Cheers,
Marc

CodeTRUCKER:
Hi everybody,

While reading through all the post concerning this topic my sometimes weird mind came up with a somewhat more complicated but maybe more effective and nun disturbing idea....

If I understood it correctly, you want to have an option to call an "expert" into a thread if his/her help is needed.
Implementing an easy solution to call a specific person can be quite annoying and disturbing as a couple of people pointed out earlier.

What do you guys think about the following system ....

Well, my system needs some setup.....

- Specific topic/fields should have assigned "experts", the information about this assignment is non public (there can me more than just one "expert")

If a threat is in a need of an expert a logged in user can trigger a SOS call to a specific expert-group by clicking on some "SOS"-button and choosing the desired expert-group. Such a help request is only issued if the thread had already a specific amount of replies and also if a specific amount of different users triggered the SOS call in this thread. This way the users in the thread first have to try to find a solution by their on and also have to agree on calling an expert. (Example: A thread needs at least 10 replies and 4 different users asking for an expert before such a call is issued)

When such help request is issued a PM is sent to all the members of the expert group and a help request for this topic is shown on the forums main page, allowing also non-assigned experts so visit the thread and help with the problem.

Just my 2cents on such an "Invitation"-System.

Cheers,
Marc
-mhb (January 28, 2008, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Welcome to DC, Marc!  :)

You have the essential ingredients, but the behind-the-scenes work necessary to implement these kinds of things tends to be the major hurdle in ratification (e.g., lots of work, but not lots of people).  Still, your idea does add a new wrinkle. :Thmbsup:  We'll just have to see how things go from here.

See you on the boards!

Calvin

Grorgy:
Good idea Marc, and welcome, your idea seems to provide both for a method to gain an experts opinion if one is needed, and to respect their privacy and free time. 

f0dder:
I honestly still don't see that this system would be useful.

Personally, as stated previously, I tend to see most threads. If somebody feels I've overlooked something and really need me, they can always (and sometimes have :)) send me a PM or (for important stuff) an e-mail. Fixing up the "send this topic" to include a textbox for short message, and be able to use the forum PM system instead of emails, could be a decent thing, though.

But that was of course based on how I surf the forum, the other experts (xhrist, did I just call myself an expert? >_<) might have other views. I just know how "report to moderator" is sometimes abused, and I think that "call in expert" would probably be mainly unused/unnecessary, but with the occasional (probably well-meaning but ill-informed!) abuse.

Carol Haynes:
I tend to agree with fOdder on this one.

Why not leave "Send this Topic" alone (or possibly make it clearer by calling it "E-mail this topic") and add a different button to PM the topic to another user by user name. Effective the PM topic button would just open the usual PM window and insert the topic URL as a quote in the text box and a modified subject line - that way the person can simply enter the user ID they want to send to and add a comment. The rest will take care of itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version