ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to Wipe this Machine! Clean install? Or XP Repair?

<< < (2/4) > >>

lanux128:
you didn't mentioned what type of problems you were having.. in any case, try to get the latest drivers for the BIOS as well, before starting any re-installing..

J-Mac:
you didn't mentioned what type of problems you were having.. in any case, try to get the latest drivers for the BIOS as well, before starting any re-installing..
-lanux128 (January 25, 2008, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahh, I've mumbled and whined about them for months here!!  Startup problems, shutdown problems, graphic card driver crashes - a GeForce 7900 GTX super-cooled card and I can't even run the security camera system I installed - crashes every time it starts now. Failed hard drives - replaced two of the Seagates already, failed multimedia card reader - replaced once and that one already doesn't work either!  USB issues, TV tuner card issues, and so on ad infinitum.

I do admit to having installed and removed a LOT of software - it's my nature.  But this box was crashing before I received it.  Several crashes when first setup, and I checked and found 11 crashes in the event viewer and by seeing the mini-dumps and mem-dumps; and all were dated the day before they shipped it to me.

Currently, though, it is just a mess of conflicts and crashes, along with multiple shutdown issues. I just need to start over again and hope for the best. If it still is cursed, then a sledgehammer will do.

Jim

lanux128:
your PC seems to be cursed.. ;) don't worry, i had a similar situation where in the end the PC just died on me.. could be anything, signs of impending motherboard failure, incompatible graphics card drivers, inadequate power supply output, outdated BIOS but anyway do go ahead with your current plan.. :up:

tomos:
Jim,
have you tried bios update as well?

don't worry, i had a similar situation where in the end the PC just died on me..
-lanux128 (January 25, 2008, 02:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Lanux, you say dont worry :tellme: :P

J-Mac:
your PC seems to be cursed.. ;) don't worry, i had a similar situation where in the end the PC just died on me.. could be anything, signs of impending motherboard failure, incompatible graphics card drivers, inadequate power supply output, outdated BIOS but anyway do go ahead with your current plan.. :up:
-lanux128 (January 25, 2008, 02:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Pretty popular Asus motherboard, but I have seen a number of others posting all over about problems with it. Oh well.

Power supply was what I suspected at first, but I calced all devices, as if they were all working at full power at the same time - which they never do, but it is more than covered - a Silverstone 600W Modular unit.  I could almost be running two setups like this from it.

Bios is one before latest, but a lot of other users are having trouble with the latest, and Asus recommended that unless I was having a specific problem with using my network adapter to leave my current setup alone. Apparently the latest BIOS driver and firmware update was only to correct a network adapter issue. And that is one of the few areas where I don't have any problems!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version