ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to Wipe this Machine! Clean install? Or XP Repair?

<< < (4/4)

steeladept:
I too have built a few and the only thing I can say is a reinstall from scratch is definitely in order.  If you can't get a better response out of the system, it could be the parts just aren't AS compatible as one would hope.  I have heard of (and actually seen in one instance) where hardware and drivers conflict with one another.  That is one of the good things about going with an brand name machine instead of a custom build.  Although, I still prefer custom builds as this is becoming more and more rare.

J-Mac:
I too have built a few and the only thing I can say is a reinstall from scratch is definitely in order.  If you can't get a better response out of the system, it could be the parts just aren't AS compatible as one would hope.  I have heard of (and actually seen in one instance) where hardware and drivers conflict with one another.  That is one of the good things about going with an brand name machine instead of a custom build.  Although, I still prefer custom builds as this is becoming more and more rare.
-steeladept (February 15, 2008, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, would you consider Falcon Northwest to be off-brand? Hopefully you're not saying that, say, Dell or HP outs together better components than Falcon.  No, I got all first rate components, and all tested to be compatible. Except - I think - for a few, like the TV Tuner card and multi-media card reader. Those are not components that Falcon commonly installs.

No, it is just that some of these components - like the Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX has had driver issues since it was released, and rather than fix those, Nvidia just developed newer and more advanced ones. This card, while not a bottom or even middle class card, has had more issues with most users than most other of their cards - for whatever reason. And Nvidia doesn't really have to pony up with fixes because if you check their support site you'll see that they do NOT offer support to end-users at all unless the user purchased the Nvidia card at retail directly from them or an authorized reseller.  If the card was placed in the box by either a custom builder or a mass-market builder, then they send you back to them. No support whatsoever for anyone who purchased a PC with the Nvidia card already installed in it, regardless of how high quality or priced it is.  Now the PC builders can put pressure on a manufacturer like that, but they don't have a strong incentive to do so.

The majority of PC's are only warranted for one year, which means that they will most likely be able to hold you off for the few months you might complain about it. After that you can tell them you want any card replacement you want and they will gladly provide it!  At their price, of course!

No, Falcon generally has a great track record, mostly among gamers. But even they can put out one that is a dog now and then I guess.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version