ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

ActiveWords and Find&Run Robot

<< < (2/3) > >>

momonan:
Okay, a little feedback from a novice.

I dowloaded the trial version of activewords.  In just a few minutes, I had set it up to launch my favorite programs.  The programs came much faster, though, when I used FRR -- and I didn't have to remember what-on-earth code word I had given the program.  So I plan to continue launching programs with FRR.

Two features, though, caught my attention.  In activewords, I can launch a website as easily as a program, by just typing in a code word.  Also, I can launch an email message screen, blank or to particular persons, by typing in my code word.  I have tried putting a website address in FRR, & no dice.  I uderstand it can be done, but haven't figured out how.  Can you add that without getting into something like "alias," which I totally don't understand?  The email thing may not be appropriate for FRR.

All in all, I think people who buy activewords for its typing substitution and dummy scripts will not be the same people who buy and love FRR.  FRR is quicker to launch.  It just needs to be able to easily launch websites (and web searches?), as well.

mouser:
see my separate post with a sample command file to import.

in the future these commands and MANY more will come pre-installed in F&R, so this is just a teaser.

Darwin:
Have to agree with momonan - AW seems to be slower than F&RR in performing any operation related to opening an app/email/webpage. I think, though, that if you set easy to remember words for apps, the time differences between the two are probably negligible. To open something up in F&RR I select my hotkey, the interface pops up, I start typing my search term ("out" should bring up a list containing both Outlook and Outlook Express) and then click on the link for the app I am after to open it up. In AW I simply type in my AW and wait for it to be recognised and then opened. Six of one, half a dozen of the other (I think) - with resepct to the time involved. In one scenario, you are an active participant, in the other you are more passive... Being passive, the wait seems more annoying, somehow.

Just my two bits. I think, again, that F&RR strengths are: simplicity, power, and a very small resource footprint. It is more suited to what I was after when I first purchased AW. Once you start using AW, though, it's hard to go without it. I keep using my wife's notebook and being ticked off when I can't simply type in a word and have an app open up for me ;) I had loaded AppRocket on her machine to get around this (as I have a license for it and have uninstalled it from my machine) but I have found it to be resource intensive and obtrusive, particularly at startup as it indexes the drive. It's gone from her machine, too. Maybe I should load F&RR on it instead...

momonan:
Just want to add that it may not be necessary to go through all those steps for FRR.  If you regularly run only a few programs (say 5-10), they all appear, ready and waiting for you, when you press the launch key -- displayed (I think) either by the order in which they were last used, or most used.  You need only press the number.  No need to type anything unless you want a program you haven't used in awhile.  Once FRR gets on your wavelength, the programs launch like lightening.

I still want it to be easier than it is to launch websites in FRR, and I understand that is in the works for a future release.

mouser:
momonon see this thread i just posted, it makes it as easy to go to a web site as typing the site addrees, plus adds some more fun functions:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1202.0

let me know what you think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version