ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mini-HowTo: Handling Cookie Privacy the Right Way

<< < (4/4)

allen:
One of the things I like about Opera is site preferences. I have configured the browser to accept all cookies, but delete everything on exit, except for those sites that I visit often, and keeps settings in them, which are configured to not being deleted.-Lashiec (January 20, 2008, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is precisely how I do it as well -- I'd once upon a time started out blacklisting everything and allowing only preferred cookies, but that made browsing . . . difficult.  After adopting this method, my cookie jar became just right. Not too many cookies, just my favorites. Easy to find without digging.

My general feeling is that it's not a big deal at all.. I think it's fine to leave all cookies alone forever and don't worry about it.  But on the other hand i get a small sense of happiness when i wipe out all these annoying cookies that i don't want :)  Sort of like the feeling out of having a clean house :)
-mouser (January 21, 2008, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

My sentiments exactly. I'm not really *worried* about the cookies, I just prefer to have things a bit tidy.

--Anyone know a good tool for synchronizing cookies among browsers? I'd love to copy my tidy opera cookies over to IE/FireFox.  I used to have an Opera/IE/Netscape app that did that, but it stopped being useful back before Netscape died. . . d'oh.

Lashiec:
BTW, Firefox users are also getting site preferences in Firefox 3 (though it's not hailed as a major feature), so that's one less extension to install. Only IE remains as usually. Well, you really have site preferences regarding cookies, but it's not very convenient nor accessible.

Mmmm, a tool to sync cookies? Is that even possible? :tellme:

allen:
Mmmm, a tool to sync cookies? Is that even possible? :tellme:
-Lashiec (February 12, 2008, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see why not -- as it stands, Firefox can import cookies from IE and maybe Opera. Just need someone who knows enough obout the big three's cookie storage formats to convert them back and forth a bit.

Lashiec:
Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot about that ability :-[

ur1sn00per:
for Firefox the CS Lite extension I highly recommended
If you visit a lot of pages and (considering the volume of cookies - sometimes about 10 per site) thats a lot of data
I block all and allow the ones YOU need (should become obvious)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version