ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo change global hotkey?

<< < (2/6) > >>

lanux128:
or you can give AllChars a try, it provides almost similar functions minus the pop-up window.

Curt:
..AllChars .. provides almost similar functions minus the pop-up window.-lanux128 (January 19, 2008, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, lanux - I gave it a try because I am currious, but it is all hotkey combinations, which is not for me. I already have BabelMap (VERY competent AND gratis) and 'Text Editing Assistant', and really just wanted to try SpecChar because I would expect it to be faster to use  due to the hotkey activation (I think I would be able to remember this ONE hotkey), so I am not into finding SOME "char"-program, only a faster-to-use one...  8)

tomos:
or you could try this one - [Win+S]

Sprankle is a handy keyboard activated character map. Find the character you need with leaving the keyboard.

Win+S to activate. Shift + key shows uppercase menu. Choose a number to select and it's pasted.

Can't believe I just found out about this. :)

Source included.-Nighted (December 28, 2007, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

edit: presumably they mean -
"Find the character you need without leaving the keyboard."

Curt:
Sprankle is a handy keyboard activated character map. -Nighted (December 28, 2007, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
-tomos (January 19, 2008, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I read that, but I never gave it a second thought because of the reservations made by the author himself:

Sprankle is just a prototype, ....

Sprankle doesn't work on Mozilla Firefox (or other applications that do special keyboard processing). If anyone has an idea on how to fix this, please tell....

It might be better to implement Sprankle as a real IME so it integrates completely with the text field. I have no idea how to do this though, ...

Many of the symbols in the character set are not present in most fonts...-from year 2004
--- End quote ---

[hint] Maybe Nighted can tell how well or bad Sprankle performs? [/hint]  :tellme:

Edit: Besides, how does one ask for special characters like | ð Þ ʤ or ξ by typing a normal character? Well, maybe it really can handle such a problem, so I must of course give it a chance and go download and test at once!

tomos:
have a look at the thread that quote is from
or maybe you've seen it by now..
(Armando tells how "how well or bad Sprankle performs?")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version