ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo change global hotkey?

(1/6) > >>

Curt:
For some time my Win+C have been used to open the Calculator, but I want to change it so the key will open the menu on a little new baby (e-Cat SpecChar) I want to test. I don't remember which program changed the hotkey in the first place long ago (but I feel sure I don't have it anymore), but I also don't know where or how to change this hotkey.

You must understand that in general I cannot remember hotkey combinations, so the first thing I normally do when I install a new program is to delete these confusing elements. I have ComfortKeys to handle the few hotkeys I do remember, but it says that Win+C is not occupied ( :mad: ) - only, Calculator doesn't seem to know this. I also have WireKeys running, but with all hotkeys disabled, as far as I know.

A tricky little part may be that the new program will only open its menu via this hotkey - no hotkey: no program - and so must 'find' the hotkey by itself, I cannot direct the new hotkey to some file.

So WHERE and HowTo change global hotkeys, please?!
- or maybe I should start by asking: How to get the hotkey away from Calculator?

sri:
do you have AutoHotKey or any other key mapping program running?

Curt:
No, AutoHotKey is way above my capacity...

Besides, I am not sure how to interpret the words "key mapping program". "Key mapping"??

lanux128:
do you have a shortcut to the Calculator in the start menu, quick launch area or on the desktop? check those *.lnk files to see if they contain the Win+c no, those shortcuts can't be assigned with the Win-key.

A tricky little part may be that the new program will only open its menu via this hotkey - no hotkey: no program - and so must 'find' the hotkey by itself, I cannot direct the new hotkey to some file.-Curt (January 18, 2008, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
that sounds very rigid, maybe you should drop a hint to the author regarding this inflexibility.

another way is to use Autohotkey to execute the program. an example:

--- ---#c::Run, %ProgramFiles%\UOSU\UOSU.exe

Curt:
Sorry for been out of the house for so long when I had asked for your help at the same time!

As usual I didn't give enough informations from the beginning. This new program, SpecChar, is to be placed in Start. When started (no visible interface and no icon), the ONLY way to use it, is to first hit the hotkey! So the task is not to start the program, but to use it. Yes, I would very much like to mail the author, but the homepage doesn't offer such an option (and is in Russian), and I cannot open the program to reach her/him from there. I am tempted to install another of her/his programs just to see if there is an email address to be found, but I am hessitating - maybe even giving up trying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version