ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Making a dream PC for cheap (as possible) - help anyone?

<< < (2/13) > >>

f0dder:
I'd get a Core 2 Duo (get rid of that Pentium D!), but not the E8200, not yet, it's not even available on Newegg, and AFAIK the Wolfdale family of new Core 2 are not even available (the Duo will be out first, the Quad is delayed),
-Lashiec (January 18, 2008, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, they're available for purchase at the Danish shop I use, but they're not in stock yet... the dualcores are scheduled for end of January, quadcores beginning of February, and the extreems for end of February. But of course those dates can be postponed, we'll see :)

and if you can, a Radeon 3850, which has a good balance between power and cost (oh, man, you have a 2600 >_<). I don't have an idea of what to use for the front panels, but Zalman has good things in the controller area.
-Lashiec (January 18, 2008, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Personally I stay away from radeons, their fans are insanely noisy >_<, and I still shudder at the driver bugs.

wreckedcarzz:
Wow, I wasn't expecting any more than a couple posts when I got back from school. Heh.

I thought about getting a Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Duo Extreme (my dad has an HP with one) but I actually picked this particular eMachines PC because of its single core CPU. If I am going multicore, it is quad or above. :-\ The frame rate hit isn't worth it IMO (I don't run more than 2 hardware-intensive programs at once on a usual day).

I have a printout of the latest Radeon HD model (can't remember the model atm, too lazy to search through my growing pile(s) of crap to find it) from NewEgg, and I plan on getting whatever is the top-of-the-line when my bday rolls around again. As for driver bugs...what driver bugs? O_o? And my fan is whisper quiet. :tellme:

-Brandon

f0dder:
Don't get extreme, it's too much cash compared to the little extra performance.

And wtf. are you talking about "frame rate hit"? O_o. Deliberately getting a single-core CPU is outright stupid, unless you're very very short on cash. And even if you don't run threaded software, well, dualcore makes your whole experience sooooo much smoother. Btw, QuadCores are quite affordable now, Q6600 very cheap (and overclockable), and the Q9450 being mad power right out of the box, but still reasonably priced.

Your motherboard is guaranteed to be LGA775, and if it was purchased relatively recently, it should work just fine with a core2 CPU.

Oh, and finally: Pentium-D consumes more power and is slower per megahertz than the core2 CPUs.

Deozaan:
It's not even a Pentium D, it's a Celeron D. But I thought the D stood for Dual Core?

Why do you want/need so many USB ports? And why do you want to use up every slot on your motherboard? I know it's fun to upgrade computers, but is it really necessary to have something plugged into everywhere?

Your reasons aside, when I build a new computer I focus on CPU, RAM, GPU, and HDDs. Those are the areas you want to spend the most money because most everything else (IMO) doesn't make much of a difference for the longevity of the system. And naturally with all those USB ports in use you'll need a good Power Supply and naturally a good motherboard to handle the high end GPU and CPU. But my point is that I focus on 3-4 things I want and then determine the rest of the stuff I need to be able to handle those 3-4 things.

f0dder:
Hm, can't remember if the Celly-Ds are also dual core... wouldn't think so. They suck any way :). (Btw, there's also core2 celerons, those are a lot nicer than p-d celerons, but still inferior to non-celerons).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version