ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

starting a revolt against Opera. Worth it?

<< < (3/6) > >>

jgpaiva:
Whoa.. That spellchecker is really cool! I just installed it.
Too bad it doesn't spellcheck on real time, you have to press a button for it it to check the spelling.

Lashiec:
A-W-E-S-O-M-E, that's one less thing to complain about Opera. And I actually like that I have to press the button for spell checking, that forces me to do some proof reading and (hopefully) avoid eating words in any language ;D. Too bad it seems there's no support for Galician :( (it does not even recognize the word, d'oh!)

zridling:
What nontroppo said. With Opera I no longer needed Roboform. Opera saves them based on each page and on top of a backup, I have a text backup of all my PW variations just in case hell breaks loose.

Plasma Man:
As someone who has some insight into Opera, I can tell you that the wishlist is read, and valid wishes are added to their internal feature tracking list. But Opera has some clear development principles they are pretty clear about (no API for a whole raft of reasons)...-nontroppo (January 17, 2008, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's got me curious about Opera's business plan. I've always had the impression that Opera has aimed - almost from day one - to be a significant player in the mobile arena. That would mean that the desktop browser becomes the first step for testing out ideas which can be taken into products for mobiles, UMPCs etc. A reasonable assessment? (I'd be petitioning for greater community input for mobile products.)

This isn't such a bad list of partnerships in a highly competitive market ...
http://www.opera.com/company/partners/mobile/

PS: If you are curious about the financial reports http://www.opera.com/company/investors/finance/ all income and expenses are listed as TNOK which is in NOK (Norwegian Kroner). Not sure what "T" stands for ... Total / before Tax ? (Norwegian accountants speak up!).

nontroppo:
A reasonable assessment? (I'd be petitioning for greater community input for mobile products.)-Plasma Man (January 19, 2008, 12:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Opera have publicly stated their commitment to Desktop, and the resources that go into it (and the returns they get off it), justify that continuation in and of itself. Where Opera are clearly moving though is in unifying the web irrespective of what device you are using. Opera Link is the first step in that process, but expect to see syncing on a much greater level. The idea is that it will be irrelevant if you are on a cheap Motorola mobile, a nintendo DS, a Nokia web tablet, a mini-PC, or a desktop, you can use your data via a consistent interface.

Opera Mini is a sensational app allowing millions who've never surfed the oppourtunity to do so. And unlike some other vendors (Apple for example where iPhone-only sites are blooming), Opera have pushed strongly for a unified web, universal access and open standards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version