ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WordWeb

<< < (4/7) > >>

tomos:
-it is merely another $29  :up:
-Curt (June 01, 2011, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

the bdj offer says:
"today's deal includes WordWeb Pro as well as all optional additional word lists (a $59 value)"

does that mean the "Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
Our most authoritative offering, a third of the full 20-volume OED" is included?

EDIT/ I see from the page I linked to that wordlists are different from dictionaries - will now have to go see what exactly a word list is :)

[Next edit] no definition anywhere of a word list - can anyone explain what it is?

Curt:
-word lists are for word finding and use with Crossword Compiler (only?)
sorry, I forgot what it is that I have!  :-[
Word lists are (also) names of cities and countries etcetera

Edit2:
http://wordweb.info/pops/addlwds.html
http://wordweb.info/pops/langs.html
http://wordweb.info/pops/Geo.html

tomos:
-word lists are for word finding and use with Crossword Compiler (only?)
sorry, I forgot what it is that I have!  :-[
Word list are (also) names of cities and countries etcetera
-Curt (June 01, 2011, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

ah, okay, thanks Curt - so it's mainly for checking the spelling, I guess.
Seems to me I'd be more interested in the 'bare' pro version ($19) plus a full dictionary like the Oxford one, so will probably pass on the bdj offer.

superboyac:
-it is merely another $29  :up:
-Curt (June 01, 2011, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

the bdj offer says:
"today's deal includes WordWeb Pro as well as all optional additional word lists (a $59 value)"

does that mean the "Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
Our most authoritative offering, a third of the full 20-volume OED" is included?

EDIT/ I see from the page I linked to that wordlists are different from dictionaries - will now have to go see what exactly a word list is :)

[Next edit] no definition anywhere of a word list - can anyone explain what it is?
-tomos (June 01, 2011, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
The titles they use for all the different variations of the Oxford English Dictionary are very confusing.  Sometimes they say the "concise" dictionary, or the "shorter" dictionary, etc.  The REAL DEAL Oxford English Dictionary is MASSIVE.  It's something like 23 volumes, and each volume is about the size of what most people would consider a regular sized big dictionary.  But it's a fantastic read.  Each word reads like a story with all the pronunciations, etymology, usage examples over time.  Some would consider it to be the single greatest endeavor in the history of english speaking nations.

It's also Oxford's crown jewel.  So they won't let people just use it willy nilly.  So that's why they give other people the shorter versions.  That, and the entire thing is just too big for most situations.  Furthermore, they offer their OWN software for the complete dictionary, but it's not nearly as nice to use as WordWeb.  That being said, it's not bad...just not as good as wordweb.  But they are really transitioning to online only: that way they can update things in real time and not have to worry about printing additional volumes or appendices.  I hate online services for things like this.  Your browser's interface simply can't compete with a custom designed interface for a specific application, let alone speed.  That's what people don't get about cloud apps.  The browser is not an operating system, but they use it as one.  I'm fine with storing the data somewhere else, but at least give me an interface specifically suited for the application.  Not an interface within a browser interface.

Anyway.  I like the software version.  My buddy is even more extreme, and he has the full volume set.  Somewhat of a collector's items since Oxford has said they will not print it anymore once the next version is finished in a decade or so.  Anyone got $1000 to spare?  Money well worth it.

40hz:

I like the software version.  My buddy is even more extreme, and he has the full volume set.  Somewhat of a collector's items since Oxford has said they will not  :-*print it anymore once the next version is finished in a decade or so.  Anyone got $1000 to spare?  Money well worth it.
-superboyac (June 01, 2011, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like the software version too.

But if I had a grand to blow I'd rather spend it on the 60 volume Great Books of the Western World collection put out out by Encyclopedia Britannica. I've read a little over half of them. I intend to read them all before I'm in my dotage.  :)

That or save up the additional $400-$500 and get the encyclopedia itself.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version