ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Experiences buying software on eBay?

<< < (3/5) > >>

tranglos:
Mystery solved. The description page doesn't say so (that I can see) but I've just heard from the seller. The copy of Delphi comes with an "Education" license. Basically this translates to personal use only, no right to distribute compiled software (whether free or for-profit): section 4.2 in http://dn.codegear.com/article/36957

It appears to be a legitimate copy then, and a legitimate seller, though the license info should really be prominent on the description page.

Since I haven't actually published anything in ages anyway, and would love dearly to play with it, I'm still a little tempted!

tomos:
that would have been a bum deal if you hadn't found that out

especially in the light of this

tamasd:
Actually I was checking the feedback page and found one complaint about licenses being Educational only, but I thought that Delphi didn't have educational and that it relates to other software seller was offering, silly me.

If that's the case, the seller is probably making big bucks on it.
I checked Hungarian store (don't speak hungarian, but they have educational licenses listed), and while their regular Pro version is way more expensive than in US Codegear shop, the Pro educational is only for about USD 140.

tamasd:
Hi Marek, I'm now considering D2009 upgrade from my D6. Local reseller asking for $950 for Pro version upgrade download version, Embarcadero has $355 (after discount) but they won't let me buy (perhaps could be overcome by tunneling through some US IP address, not sure), and on Ebay someone is selling a box for $298.

So wondering if you or someone else have a positive experience with that, in particular whether there were any problems on Embarcadero side (allowing the upgrade to be registered)?

superboyac:
I've bought software on ebay before (carefully, though) and it has all been a good experience.  I also had misgivings about it initially, but everything turned out fine.  I figure it's not really my job to do all the detective work about all this, I don't have the time.  Unless it's obvious where I can tell something is shady, I'm ok with it.

Heck, I just bought $90 sneakers for $30.  How do I know they're not "hot"?  I don't know.  I also just bought a Sony mp3 player for less than half price, brand new.  I'll never know.  Then again, I'm about to sell a brand new pair of Birkenstocks for what will end up to be probably 1/2 price, but there's a legitimate story behind it.

My point is, I don't view software any differently than other items.  I can only do so much as far as my own judgment.  After that, well, you're on your own I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version