ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

DONE: File Search and Replace

(1/4) > >>

darklight_tr:
This has been solved!  See the bottom of this post for the download!  :Thmbsup:

I am trying to find a program that allows me search for and replace files with a source file.

Example:

I have a large directory structure that has numerous folders and subfolders.  There are many scripts that execute from this structure, and some rely on psexec.exe.  Since many people access this structure, a copy of psexec.exe is stored in each of the script directories instead of one central location.  The problem comes in when I want to update psexec.exe to the newest version.  Finding and replacing each old one with a new one is a tedious task.

So, I would like a program that can search for every instance of a specific file name and replace it with a source file that I specify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: (01/01/09)

File Propagator has been removed, as it has been replaced by File Replicator.

justice:
It will be relatively easy to write an AHK script for this in an hour or so I reckon,
the AHK can execute a 'dir /b /s psexec.exe > result.txt' from a base folder, then read that result.txt in line by line and copy the psexec.exe from the AHK working dir to these destination paths. I won't have time tomorrow but later on during the week I could have a go if noone else has.

justice:
Try this:

FilePropagator 1.0
Replace all instances of a certain file in a folder with an updated copy. Select a root folder and the updated file that you want to replace all instances of, and confirm the operation. Search.txt and replace.txt logfiles are kept in the application folder. Autohotkey source provided.

edit: download removed by request of topicstarter as it has a serious bug in it that is now fixed.

darklight_tr:
That works perfectly!  Thanks a ton!  :D

justice:
No problemo, just check the replace.txt logfile the first few times to make sure there are no bugs -- I tested it on newly created folderstructures and you're the second person to use it hehe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version