ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

photo duplicate scanner

(1/25) > >>

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
Between my wife and I, we take lots of pics using our nice little point-n-shoot Panasonic Lumix.
Living in a new city, new friends, many new sites to see, and a new baby girl (5 months). So about once a week we transfer all our photos and many .MOV files from our SD cards to our desktop.

Usually, files would retain the cameras default naming system. EX: P1010368.jpg, or P1000952.mov.
But for the past few weeks, my naming system is messed up. Now I have dozens, if not hundreds of hi-res photos that are duplicates (average size of 2-3MB per photo).

I'm not sure if this is something caused by my constant app install/uninstalls or not, but I think it can be solved.
Rather than manually scan through my photos, I recall having seen or heard of an application that does it automagically? and removes/moves/renames/copies duplicate photos?

If there is an app like this, what are its features?!
hhmm ... I just came from this thread. But it didn't offer anything I need.

tomos:
I used to have one called similar images finder but I never used it :-\
so I googled -
similar images finder

one out of the first three listed is free, one has a trial, I didnt look further

if you do try any of them let us know how you get on!

jgpaiva:
From what i understand, you don't need a "similar images finder", all you need is a "duplicate file finder", which is included in serveral alternative file explorers (like dopus) or, alternativelly, you could use a standalone tool, like this one.

disclaimer: i've never used dupfilefinder. It does look good, though :P

tomos:
From what i understand, you don't need a "similar images finder", all you need is a "duplicate file finder", which is included in serveral alternative file explorers (like dopus) or, alternativelly, you could use a standalone tool, like this one.

disclaimer: i've never used dupfilefinder. It does look good, though :P
-jgpaiva (January 14, 2008, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

would that find them if they have different names - dont think dopus would do that
would have to compare all files for same size and then do a bit comparision

iphigenie:
the ones that deal with images specifically have the nice feature of showing potential matches side by side, with a quick "yes/no" way to cycle and delete them.

Comparison usually starts with size, meta information (image info) then binary checksum

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version