ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

photo duplicate scanner

<< < (9/25) > >>

sajman99:
Hello Curt. In hindsight, I can see how you assumed I didn't run SIF because I said it "looked promising". Sorry for my imprecise language. In fact, I ran it many times and it works really fast processing the maximum 200 images as you correctly noted. But it "looked promising" because that's all I really know about it due to Crown-s-soft's overly restrictive trial. Frankly, processing 200 images is child's play compared to processing 5,000 images.  Since these similar image utilites tend to choke processing large numbers of images, I am not exactly inspired to pay $34 for something which may or may not work efficiently. With modern processors, the days of "leave it overnight" image comparison should be in the distant past.

Also Curt, thanks for posting about MindGems' Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder. A few years ago it ran so slowly it required overnight processing of a large image collection. Currently, it has superior speed and is definitely a viable option.

4wd:
Finally, I didn't see a mention of XnView in this thread. Among its myriad attributes, this excellent freeware image viewer at http://www.xnview.com/ works amazingly well in finding similar images via "Tools/Find similar files". With its adjustable similarity/tolerance level, it doesn't get much easier to process an image collection.-sajman99 (January 06, 2009, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

OFGS!!!   :wallbash:

I've been using XnView for years and I've never known about that feature because I don't use Browser mode.

Thanks sajman99!!  :Thmbsup:

Lashiec:
Ooops, same here. And to think I was checking up similar pictures by hand... :-[

sajman99:
Greetings 4wd and Lashiec, and thanks for the encouraging comments.  :)

I suspect there are many XnView users who weren't aware of its "Tools/Find similar files" feature simply because its developer Pierre-E Gougelet is constantly improving and adding features. If I recall correctly, that feature was implemented in early 2007 somewhere around version 1.90. Also in browser mode is the "Tools/Compare" feature which displays images side-by-side or in tabbed/overlay view. Good stuff.

Yet another freeware "photo duplicate scanner" worthy of mention is SimilarImages at http://celebnamer.celebworld.ws/similarimages/ .

Curt:
... Yet another freeware "photo duplicate scanner" worthy of mention is SimilarImages at http://celebnamer.celebworld.ws/similarimages/ . -sajman99 (January 10, 2009, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

SimilarImages may be The Slowest scanner/processor I so far have tried for this kind of job, but it turned out to also be (one of) the most accurate! On my Vista, the $35 Image Comparer will use 45 minutes to scan&process my 8.000 photos. The free SimilarImages used 61 minutes for the same job, but also gave a better, more precise result.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version